In an exclusive interview, Hyde delivered a big dose of candor and some reflective second guessing. He said, among other things, he might not try to impeach President Clinton if he had it to do all over again. ****Atrios reminds us: Nixon was never actually impeached - the Judiciary Committee passed the articles but they never went to the House.
Hyde is known for his eloquence, courtesy, civility and his fierce partisanship on behalf of conservative GOP principles, including authorship of the Hyde Amendment, which outlawed federal funding of abortions, and leadership of the House judiciary committee in the impeachment of President Clinton for perjury and obstruction of justice stemming from an affair with White House intern Monica Lewinsky. ***
The veteran DuPage County congressman acknowledged that Republicans went after Clinton in part to enact revenge against the Democrats for impeaching* President Richard Nixon 25 years earlier.
Andy Shaw asked Hyde if the Clinton proceedings were payback for Nixon's impeachment.
"I can't say it wasn't, but I also thought that the Republican party should stand for something, and if we walked away from this, no matter how difficult, we could be accused of shirking our duty, our responsibility," said Hyde.
Hyde's comments reflect what Democrats have been saying for years about the Clinton impeachment.
Thursday, April 21, 2005
MORE HYDE HANKY-PANKY?
Hank "Youthful Indiscretion" Hyde told Channel 7's Andy Shaw that one Republican motivation for impeaching President Bill Clinton was GOP retaliation for driving Richard Nixon, Hyde's former boss, out of office:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- THEOCRACY -- ON THE MARCH!
- "A HIGHER ORDER AND MORE USEFUL"
- PEOPLE IN GLASS TOWERS...
- DENNY CAVES
- SEE A MESS
- MESSAGE EXCHANGE
- KEEPIN' IT REAL
- EVERYBODY'S ALWAYS TALKING ABOUT THE WEATHER...
- "ST. CLOUD BISHOP RECALLS POPE ORDERING BOOKS DEST...
- SHAKING THE JAR
- GET IT ON!
- IS HASTERT HIDING ETHICS VIOLATIONS?
- MORE HYDE HANKY-PANKY?
- GEORGE W. BUSH, CHICAGOAN
- HASTERT'S ETHICAL QUESTIONS
- FEAR AND LOATHING
- POPE BENEDICT XVI
- ANOTHER TERRIFICALLY SEXUAL GUY
- "A TERRIFICALLY SEXUAL GUY"
- NEW HIGH SCORE!
- WHEN YOU LIE DOWN WITH DOGS...
- A BLOW -- FOR DECENCY
- CAUSE OR EFFECT
- FROM THE NATIONAL SECURITY DESK
- CARD SHARKS
- HUNTER S. THOMPSON: AMERICAN PROPHET
- COURTING A FIGHT
- "GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES AND THIS HONORABLE COU...
- MAYBE THE TERRI SCHIAVO STORY REALLY WAS A BIG DEA...
- WHO KNEW?
- ▼ April (33)