By saying no, ''Da Coach'' avoids a bear of a rival
[W]hat likely scared Ditka off was a peek across the line of scrimmage at his opponent: a cool, tested, whip-smart black state legislator named Barack Obama.
Wednesday, on my favorite sports show, ESPN’s “Pardon the Interruption,” host Tony Kornheiser of The Washington Post was having fun at Ditka’s expense, chiding him for not running.
“Who’s gonna vote for a guy named Obama?” he laughed, certain that voters would confuse Ditka’s opponent with a guy named Osama. Even Kornheiser’s co-host, the well-tuned and Afro-centric columnist Mike Wilbon, showed no sign of knowing who Barack Obama is. And Wilbon is from Chicago.
But Republican politicos know who Obama is. They have an edgy eye on him, even as he rises from Chicago precinct politics to take his first steps on the national stage.
All those AM-radio mouth-breathers and Internet conspiracy geeks keep harping that Hillary Clinton is the threat that the GOP will face on future ballots. But Republicans whose brains are larger than their tongues, the serious players out there, understand that their real threat is likely to be somebody like Obama.
Notice that the Democrats gave Obama the premier convention speakers’ slot. Hillary got bupkis.
“Who’s gonna vote for a guy named Obama?” Kornheiser asked. The answer is that a lot of us might well face that option eight to 12 years from now, when that name shows up as a candidate for vice-president or president.
As Kornheiser himself likes to say, “You heard it here first.”
Friday, July 16, 2004
“You heard it here first.”
Dave Addiis of The Virginian-Pilot weighs in on Illinois Senate Race:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)
- More Weird
- "Bush Straight Talk"
- At least it didn't say South Carolina.
- I know I felt proud last night.
- Can't wait until 8:45pm CDT?
- Bad news for OneMan
- Lessig v. O'Reilly
- A Travishamockery?
- Don't make the perfect the enemy of the good
- "Only in America."
- Mortgaging America's future? Bring it on!
- Delivery Confirmation Number: 03040370000109310672...
- Depression-era anti-Bush movie
- Evidence for Hersh's claims of child sexual abuse ...
- Another potential Republican candidate thwarted?
- Ebert gets it
- “You heard it here first.”
- Could Ditka have made it a race?
- Red or Blue—Which Are You?
- Do they still have the number for Herr Oberweiss?
- Obama on Today Tomorrow
- Draft Hulk!
- Don't Let A Computer Eat Your Vote
- That's a lotta ultras...
- Paper, Rock, Saddam
- Does ArchPundit Hate America?
- ▼ July (26)