Barack Obama is telling supporters to watch for his critics to play the race card, even if it is turned over in a subtle way.And if voters really want to cast their ballots based on fear, they should try this on for size: "Ninety-five more years in Iraq."
The Illinois senator cast the the coming election as a choice between hope and fear, with, in his view, Republican opponents stressing fear of the unknown. That, he said, is likely to encompass his youth, his slim public record, his strange name, and, yes, the idea of a black man in the Oval Office.
"The choice is clear. Most of all we can choose between hope and fear," Obama said at a fundraiser in Jacksonville, Fla., Friday evening. "It is going to be very difficult for Republicans to run on their stewardship of the economy or their outstanding foreign policy.
"We know what kind of campaign they're going to run," he continued. "They're going to try to make you afraid. They're going to try to make you afraid of me -- 'He's young and inexperienced and he's got a funny name. And did I mention he's black?' ''
Monday, June 23, 2008
Fear of a Black
From your Chicago Tribune:
- Sen. McCain Really is Anti-Tax
- Shaddap ya bums! I'm trying to hear the teevee! -...
- Gimmie the usual... -- Steinbook Roundup, Pt. 3
- "Our two weapons are fear and surprise..." -- Card...
- Fear of a Black Planet President
- The Long Weekend
- Romenesko: Redesigned Chicago Tribune to debut in ...
- In the Interersts of Fairness and Balance: I'm Vot...
- The Untimely Death of Tim Russert
- McCain Emphasizes Experience in Major Foreign Poli...
- Make it a Double: Steinbook Roundup, Pt. 2
- Pissed Off: R. Kelly Acquitted
- "And don't get me started about my daughter-in-law...
- Steinbook Roundup
- Now would be a good time to start following the st...
- Harriet Christian Redux
- Rage! Rage Against the Dying of the Light.
- Ask For It By Name!
- Ellas Bate McDaniel (1928 - 2008)
- Harriet Christian aka The Clinton Base
- Rationale v. Rational
- ▼ June (23)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)