The single best thing [you] can do is give cash. Not stuff, cash. Cash is portable, fast, and useful. Everything else has problems -- even if it is something they really and truly need, because it isn't there, and people and resources are needed to get it there.And you can give money to the American Red Cross right here.
The canonical example: Bottled water. Something otherwise useless that is critical in this sort of emergency. So you give a few flats to the ARC. Well, you bought them at retail, and now, the ARC has to put them on a truck (which costs money) and ship them down there (which cost money, and time.)
Let's say you give them $20 instead. The ARC notes that they need water. So, they call a bottler in a city close to, but not affected by, the storm. They get wholesale or cost prices, as opposed to retail. For the same amount of money, they get far more water, far closer to where they need to be. In six hours, you're delivering your flats to the local ARC office. In six hours with cash, they're handing water to people who desperately need it.
Finally, of course, if what they really need is food, your flats of water aren't helpful, but your cash is. So, the lesson:
1) Give cash. That's the best thing you can do from your home.
2) Stay the hell away from New Orleans. Seriously. They're ordering everyone out, that includes you. Do not go.
3) If you are trained to do rescue work, they have almost certainly called you by now. If not, check in with your local org -- records and such get lost, and they may have missed you.
4) If you really insist, go to your *local* American Red Cross office and talk to them. If, in fact, they do need a skill you have, they'll put you with the people you need to know, and start the wheels moving. The single biggest thing the ARC does in disasters is routing solutions to problems.
5) If you have supplies, not cash, you can talk to the local office, but realize that the cost of shipping your supplies may make them worse off then just buying them closer. If you have supplies *and* shipping -- and we're talking trucks, not FedEx, -- then call the local ARC, and talk to them, and if they need what they have, they'll put you in touch with the people who need it, who can arrange how to get it to them.
In general, when they need something, they need lots of it, either in one place or put into one place so they can easily distribute at need. One satellite phone isn't that helpful, esp. if they have to figure out how to make it work. A thousand phones, ready to go, however, is.
6) If they really need what you have to offer, and you are one of the few who can provided it, they've probably called you by now.
7) If you want to help in the future, start working with rescue orgs now. If you haven't been trained in general rescue procedures, your not nearly as helpful. Think of it as backups -- you can't help New Orleans now, but there will be other bad days, and if you've done the classwork and drills, and kept in touch, then you will be one of the people they need -- and they'll call you when they need you.
Wednesday, August 31, 2005
RED CROSS CASH FOR A BLUE CRESCENT CITY
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- NEW ORLEANS LOOTERS IDENTIFIED
- RED CROSS CASH FOR A BLUE CRESCENT CITY
- TEST OF LOGIC
- GOD BLESS THE TIMES-PICAYUNE
- CITIZEN SOLDIERS
- OUR "POPULAR" PRESIDENT, OUR "STRONG" ECONOMY
- "Corruption is just part of our culture"
- START HELPING RIGHT NOW
- WILL ILLINOIS FEEL THE EFFECTS OF HURRICANE KATRIN...
- GOOD LUCK NEW ORLEANS
- LaHOOD: PRESIDENT IS BUSH LEAGUE
- BUSH'S AMERICA
- BATTY PAT
- FALSE DICHOTOMY
- "I apologize for that statement. I spoke in frustr...
- “There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damn Lies......
- BRING FOR ME TOO...
- "You just don't get over that."
- THE PRESIDENTIAL BOOK CLUB
- THE DANGER OF RELIGIOUS EXTREMISM
- Christine Cegelis: "Speak out, be bold and have a ...
- SOME PHOTOS FROM CINDY SHEEHAN PEACE VIGIL IN GLEN...
- PRESIDENTIAL COUNTERFACTUALS
- DuPAGE PEACE VIGIL
- AMERICA NEEDS MORE COWBELL!
- "If I no-show tomorrow, would you still remember m...
- SWEET LOOK AT THE "STRONG, BIG-TIME" CEGELIS CAMPA...
- HALF-NAKED JENNIFER ANISTON
- BUSH PROTEST AT CAT PLANT
- DEATH BY VIDEO GAME
- FITZ TO BE TIED?
- SOME FREE ADVICE:
- nothing nice to say
- "Wait, Wait... Happy Birthday"
- "Denny boy"?
- TWO AND A HALF MILLION DOLLARS IS NOTHING TO SNEEZ...
- WAR PIGS -- UP 284 PERCENT
- FUNGI CRIBS FUN-GUY
- FUN FACTS!
- ▼ August (39)