Among the fifty men and one woman who have held the speakership since a German-born pastor named Frederick Augustus Conrad Muhlenberg filled the position for the First Congress, there have been more than a few disappointments. Aside from the indicted, the disgraced and the disreputable, there have been the indefensible -- like Howell Cobb, who used his pre-Civil War speakership to promote the extension of slavery. Cobb would eventually find his true calling as the speaker of the Provisional Confederate Congress and the acting president of the southern states that seceded from the U.S. in treasonous defense of human bondage.Yes, there's more.
Could the shambling, ineffectual and frequently inarticulate Hastert really have been a worse Speaker of the House than a crude proponent of slavery, or a crook like Jim Wright or a conniving partisan like Newt Gingrich?
Friday, August 17, 2007
Don't Let the Door Hit Ya Where the Dog Shoulda Bit Ya.
John Nichols of the Nation magazine bids J. Dennis "Denny" Hastert adieu:
- ► 2008 (244)
- Orienting the Map Answer
- Blogging Blockhead Bloodsports
- "A Republic -- If you can keep it."
- Jack "The King" Kirby Would Have Been 90 Years Old...
- GOP in the WC
- Hail to The King, Baby!
- Bottle Rockets in Skokie
- 25 Years of CD Memories
- 60K Bicycle Ride
- The Big Oh-Five!
- Cook County States Attorney May Let R&B Whiz-Kid W...
- Well... A Misquote is a Kind of Quote...
- The Return of The Fighting 51st
- A Very Compelling Argument for the Impeachment of ...
- Tuesday Bat Blogging
- Out! Out! And Awaaaaaay!
- Obama: 15 X 8 is Enough
- Barack Simpson? Bart Obama?
- The So-Called Review: My Podcasts
- The Heart Breaking Tale of Tony Snow
- Don't Let the Door Hit Ya Where the Dog Shoulda Bi...
- The Sex Scandal Gap
- Worst Link Ever?
- Bush Officially Brainless
- "And then follow Madison all the way to the end......
- Still Too Soon
- Action Jackson
- "Cats and dogs living together!"
- Who Do You Love?
- "And don't worry your pretty little heads about ou...
- The So-Called War Against Terror
- Who Are You? Who? Who? Who? Who?
- Guliani Backs Obama for President
- Abortion and a Woman's Right to Choose
- "So good to meet you. My name is Emmanuel Goldste...
- ▼ August (36)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)