Democrats accused Gov. Sarah Palin (R) on Sunday of misrepresenting her role in scuttling a controversial bridge project to a remote island in southeast Alaska.
On Friday, the day she was introduced as Sen. John McCain's running mate, Palin touted her opposition to a bridge originally championed by Alaska's most prominent officials as an example of her fiscal conservatism and reformist credentials.
"I told Congress, 'Thanks but no thanks on that Bridge to Nowhere,' " Palin told a crowd in Dayton, Ohio.
But prominent Alaska Democrats said Palin supported the bridge while campaigning for governor ***
"She was the only candidate who was saying, 'We're going to build that bridge,' " said former governor Tony Knowles (D), who lost to Palin in the 2006 general election. "She's taking a position now which certainly wasn't what it was when she was campaigning."***
While campaigning in Ketchikan in September 2006, Palin indicated support for the bridge project, assuming there was no better alternative. "This link is a commitment to help Ketchikan expand its access, to help this community prosper," she told the local chamber of commerce, according to an account in the Ketchikan Daily News. ***
Palin's [ultimate] decision resulted in no savings for the federal government. The bridge money is being spent on other highway projects in Alaska.
Monday, September 01, 2008
Sarah Palin's "commitment" to Ted Stevens's Bridge to Nowhere
From the Washington Post:
- Cubs Fandom in a NutshellThe event opened with emc...
- McCain: Republican Mav-Wreck"What Senator McCain w...
- McCainomics: The Nut of the ProblemFrom the NYT's ...
- Suspension of Disbelief
- Economic Martial Law
- S.L.A.M: Slave-Labor "Austin Mayor"Due to growing ...
- Palin: Ready On Day One Nine?
- A Math Question
- "You were lucky. We lived for three months in a br...
- Life Imitates... Life?
- Sarah Palin: Not Ready for Prime Time Sunday Morni...
- Four More Years Would Be a Drag
- "The Peasants Are Revolting"
- Family Values
- Sarah Palin: Video Blogger
- "One Nation... Indivisible"
- Palin: America can't pull out of Iraq, but Alaska ...
- Sarah Palin's "commitment" to Ted Stevens's Bridge...
- Sarah Palin Was Original Director of Mentor Ted St...
- Juno, Alaska?
- ▼ September (21)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)