Michelle Obama, wife of Obama, visited Charleston Saturday and spoke to Democratic supporters at What's Cookin' restaurant. Obama told the crowd of about 50 people that her husband's campaign depended on their support even more now despite the recent announcement by his senate opponent Ryan.more...
"Over the last few days, some people have said this is a done deal," Obama said. "But no one in our house has said it is a done deal."
Prior to marrying her husband, Obama recalled when she and him worked together at a Chicago law firm. She said she fell in love with him for the same reason many other people respect him; his connection with people.
Obama recalled her future husband had invited her to a community event at a small church where he would be speaking. Obama said the audience was compromised of grandparents raising grandchildren.
These people were concerned with the high crime rate and poverty, she said.
She watched as Obama took off his suit jacket and tie, rolled up his sleeves and told the people the importance of being connected and how everybody is connected regardless of education and social status, she said. He told them they were entitled to a decent living, health care and education, she recalled.
As he spoke, the people gathered at the church nodded their heads in approval or openly said ‘yes', she said.
"I knew he was special and that he connected with the people," Obama said. "That is how I fell in love with him."
"I am here because I am a taxpayer, a mother and the daughter of an elderly parent," Obama said. "I don't like the direction our country is currently taking when it comes to working for the middle class."
Monday, June 28, 2004
Obama brings husband's campaign to Coles County
From the Journal Gazette and Times-Courier:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)
- Barack Obama to Give Keynote Speech at Democratic ...
- We hate it when our friends become successful.
- Obama brings husband's campaign to Coles County
- FORMER GOV. EDGAR GOES STUMPING IN SOUTHERN ILLINO...
- Washington Post: In Illinois, a Star Prepares
- Not With a Bang...
- Giant Humanitarian Bike Drive 2004 in the Western ...
- Replacing Jack!
- Jack! Free Post
- From October 31, 2003: George F. Will on Jack!
- George... Jim... Jack...
- Maybe He Just Likes Senate Candidates
- Just A Reminder
- Applying Jack Ryan's Standard to Jack Ryan
- Rich Miller talks to Congressman Danny Davis about...
- "I bet there's some bad apples."
- UBecause Not Everyone Can Just Write a Check to Fi...
- "They remained friends after the 2002 election and...
- Even a Broken Clock...
- "One-Size-Fits-All Conservatism" Chafes
- Good Question
- Top Dollar
- A False Dichotomy
- A Bad Case of the Puns
- "Often there's no chance of escape"
- Obama Reverse Coat-tails?
- Why Herseth's Win Matters
- Everything explained in a neat, tidy package
- That was fun... Let's do it again in November.
- Dirty Tricks? In South Dakota??
- ▼ June (32)