Now that it appears that Jack! is "exploring an exit strategy", the question arises:
"Who will the GOP replace Ryan with on the ballot?"
Archpundit examines many of the potential candidates, but overlooks the obvious choice for the Republicans.
The GOP's ideal candidate to run against Barack Obama will have to possess certain qualities:
1. He will need to have a history as a legislator to match up with Obama's stellar career as a lawmaker;
2. He will need to be willing to enter a race where he has almost no chance of winning;
3. He will need to have that special "something" that allows him to win a race where he is the clear underdog...
Fortunately for the Illinois Republicans, such a man does exist:
The Hon. Michael P. Flanagan
1. Flanagan represented the 5th District of Illinois in the 104th Congress.
2. Flanagan decided to enter a long-shot race against an 18-term Congressman -- the then-Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee -- during a game of darts with friends at a North Side saloon
3. Despite overwhelming odds, Flanagan -- with some aid from a 17-count federal indictment against his opponent -- was able to vanquish his powerful foe.
I just hope that, for the sake of the Republican party in Illinois, Mr. Flanagan will answer Judy Baar Topinka's inevitable call.
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)
- Barack Obama to Give Keynote Speech at Democratic ...
- We hate it when our friends become successful.
- Obama brings husband's campaign to Coles County
- FORMER GOV. EDGAR GOES STUMPING IN SOUTHERN ILLINO...
- Washington Post: In Illinois, a Star Prepares
- Not With a Bang...
- Giant Humanitarian Bike Drive 2004 in the Western ...
- Replacing Jack!
- Jack! Free Post
- From October 31, 2003: George F. Will on Jack!
- George... Jim... Jack...
- Maybe He Just Likes Senate Candidates
- Just A Reminder
- Applying Jack Ryan's Standard to Jack Ryan
- Rich Miller talks to Congressman Danny Davis about...
- "I bet there's some bad apples."
- UBecause Not Everyone Can Just Write a Check to Fi...
- "They remained friends after the 2002 election and...
- Even a Broken Clock...
- "One-Size-Fits-All Conservatism" Chafes
- Good Question
- Top Dollar
- A False Dichotomy
- A Bad Case of the Puns
- "Often there's no chance of escape"
- Obama Reverse Coat-tails?
- Why Herseth's Win Matters
- Everything explained in a neat, tidy package
- That was fun... Let's do it again in November.
- Dirty Tricks? In South Dakota??
- ▼ June (32)