In his first public account of last week’s controversy, Spc. Thomas Wilson says that he came up with the now famous armor question for Pentagon chief Donald Rumsfeld on his own, without the help of oft-criticized reporter Edward Lee Pitts. And he adds, "If this is my 15 minutes of fame, I hope it saves a life."It seems the wing-nuts were wrong to consider Spc. Wilson a pawn of the liberal media. He's actually a pawn of the Bush administration -- just like all the other troops in Iraq.
The account appears in next week’s edition of Time magazine.
Wilson, who serves with Tennessee’s 278th Regiment in the National Guard, tells Time that he befriended Pitts, an embed for the Chattanooga Times Free Press, at California's Fort Irwin, where his unit trained. Later, in Kuwait, after Pitts learned that only soldiers could ask questions at the upcoming town hall meeting with Rumsfeld in Kuwait, he urged Wilson to come up with some "intelligent questions."
After his convoy arrived at Camp Arijan in Kuwait, Wilson found hundreds of fully armored vehicles promised to another unit months down the road. Wilson says he asked if the 278th could use them in the meantime, and was told no. That inspired his question about the shortage of armor, which he showed to Pitts.
The reporter, far from being the protagonist, suggested that he find “a less brash way of asking the question," but Wilson “told him no, that I wanted to make my point very clear."
Monday, December 20, 2004
THE RUMSFELD GAMBIT
From Editor and Publisher (emphasis added):
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)
- ERIC ZORN: BLAGORGEOUS IS LOSER OF THE YEAR
- GET OUT!
- LIBERAL MEDIA
- RED (STATE) SHIFT
- OBAMA PRESIDENTIAL CRISIS
- BUYER'S REMORSE
- "A VERY IMPORTANT PART OF OUR OVERALL NATIONAL SEC...
- THE RUMSFELD GAMBIT
- APPLE... FALL... TREE...
- A NEW TRIBUNE BUSINESS PLAN?
- "WE DON'T HAVE TO START FROM SCRATCH."
- OBAMA: THINK BIG
- READERS LOVE OBAMA
- So-Called "Social Security Crisis"
- ALOHA OBAMA
- NONE DARE CALL IT BLAGO-MOJO
- A REAL PAGE-TURNER
- YOU SORT TOYS WITH THE CORPS YOU HAVE, NOT THE COR...
- CLEAR CHANNEL LOVES OBAMA
- FRIENDLY SUGGESTION
- "It bends towards Justice"
- Retired Army colonel, 70, sent to Afghanistan
- RUMSFELDIAN RECURSION
- YOU GET THE ARMY YOU PAY FOR
- VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER
- ONE WEEKEND A MONTH; TWO WEEKS A YEAR
- CLUB RED
- THOUGHTCRIME IS THE ONLY CRIME THAT MATTERS
- "YOU GO TO WAR WITH THE ARMY YOU HAVE."
- NEW KID ON THE BLOK
- OBAMA'S SHOCKING SECRET: HE'S STROM THURMOND'S LOV...
- OBAMA ON BOOK-TV/C-SPAN2
- BRAVO BLOGO-MOJO!
- "MEND IT DON'T END IT"
- ALL YOUR POST ARE BELONG TO US
- WHERE IN THE WORLD IS BARACK OBAMA
- "HEY STUPID, BUY MY BOOK!"
- ▼ December (38)