After McClellan outlined the president's plans, leading up to a key June 28th speech, ABC correspondent Terry Moran asked a pointed question, which referred back to an assessment recently made by Vice President Dick Cheney.And the press should be further emboldened by the Bush administrations tumbling poll numbers.
Q Scott, is the insurgency in Iraq in its 'last throes'?
McCLELLAN: Terry, you have a desperate group of terrorists in Iraq that are doing everything they can to try to derail the transition to democracy. The Iraqi people have made it clear that they want a free and democratic and peaceful future. And that's why we're doing everything we can, along with other countries, to support the Iraqi people as they move forward….
Q But the insurgency is in its last throes?
McCLELLAN: The Vice President talked about that the other day -- you have a desperate group of terrorists who recognize how high the stakes are in Iraq. A free Iraq will be a significant blow to their ambitions.
Q But they're killing more Americans, they're killing more Iraqis. That's the last throes?
McCLELLAN: Innocent -- I say innocent civilians. And it doesn't take a lot of people to cause mass damage when you're willing to strap a bomb onto yourself, get in a car and go and attack innocent civilians. That's the kind of people that we're dealing with. That's what I say when we're talking about a determined enemy.
Q Right. What is the evidence that the insurgency is in its last throes?
McCLELLAN: I think I just explained to you the desperation of terrorists and their tactics.
Q What's the evidence on the ground that it's being extinguished?
McCLELLAN: Terry, we're making great progress to defeat the terrorist and regime elements. You're seeing Iraqis now playing more of a role in addressing the security threats that they face. They're working side by side with our coalition forces. They're working on their own. There are a lot of special forces in Iraq that are taking the battle to the enemy in Iraq. And so this is a period when they are in a desperate mode.
Q Well, I'm just wondering what the metric is for measuring the defeat of the insurgency.
McCLELLAN: Well, you can go back and look at the Vice President's remarks. I think he talked about it.
Q Yes. Is there any idea how long a 'last throe' lasts for?
McCLELLAN: Go ahead, Steve....
Friday, June 17, 2005
WHERE'S 'JEFF GANNON' WHEN YOU NEED HIM?
From Editor& Publisher:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- DO IT!
- OBAMA TIME
- BLOG SURVEY
- "I think I could do more here."
- "PAUL HARVEY... GOOD... GOD!"
- 30 DAY REVIEW
- MOST IMPORTANT STORY OF THE MONTH
- WINNER OF THE MONTH
- LOSERS OF THE MONTH
- MOST OVERREPORTED STORY
- MOST UNDERREPORTED STORY
- STORY TO WATCH NEXT MONTH
- TECHNICAL FALL
- WAR FOR THEE, BUT NOT FOR ME
- BUSH SAYS HE'LL VISIT VIETNAM NEXT YEAR
- "Not Everyone is Criticizing Sen. Dick Durbin"
- BEYOND ALL DOUBT -- ILLINOIS NEEDS DEATH PENALTY R...
- I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT 44% IN THE LAST RACE WOU...
- STRANGE VISITOR FROM ANOTHER PLANET
- TOUGH-GUY BY PROXY
- "The Chicago Tribune's 'cheap stunt'"
- VOTE DISCRIMINATES AGAINST NATION'S ONLY BLACK SEN...
- WHERE'S 'JEFF GANNON' WHEN YOU NEED HIM?
- IS THAT A THREAT?
- ALAN KEYES WING OF ILLINOIS GOP EMBRACES ROSKAM
- OBAMA'S STOCK IS STILL RISING
- GET THE GOVERNOR ON THE PHONE!
- AS IF A DEMOCRAT IN DUPAGE COUNTY REALLY NEEDS HEL...
- UNDERMINING THE TRADITIONAL FAMILY
- "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"
- PEOPLE IN GLASS VATICANS...
- A BEAT BEHIND
- "The DeLay Effect"
- TRIPP NO LOVELACE
- DON'T BE A BIG, FAT CRYBABY!
- "PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT CORPORATION BEHIND THE C...
- "A pox on both your houses"
- 25 SQ. MILES PER SOLDIER
- "And you, sir, are worse than Hitler."
- "that means not tell the truth"
- ▼ June (43)