Cheney is Bush without the charm, the religiosity, the Michael Gerson speech texts, and the Presidential sheen.
What he personifies, above all, is the raw reality of Bush’s signature policies, all of which he has had a strong hand in creating. There are the giant tax cuts for the rich, especially the very rich. (“We won the midterms,” Cheney told Bush’s economic team, according to the journalist Ron Suskind, when another such cut was on the table, after the 2002 congressional elections. “This is our due.”)
There is the related, and enormous, budget deficit, which will necessitate another $800-billion rise in the debt limit by the middle of this month if the government is to avoid defaulting on its obligations. (“Deficits don’t matter,” Cheney once explained.)
There is the strategically and morally disastrous misconduct of the “war on terror,” including authorized torture, defiantly unlawful domestic surveillance, and habitual, self-defeating contempt for allied opinion and international instruments. There is the toxic combination of reflexive secrecy and the political use of secrets, as in the Scooter Libby affair. There is, in place of an energy policy, obeisance to the oil industry—and thus to the petrocracy of the Middle East. (Conservation, according to Cheney, is “a personal virtue.”)
Above all, there is the terrible war in Iraq, undertaken on the basis of faulty, willfully distorted, sometimes falsified intelligence and now about to enter its fourth year, with no end in sight to the bloodshed and chaos. (“I think they’re in the last throes, if you will, of the insurgency,” Cheney said last June.)
Against this background, the figure of twenty-three per cent is not shockingly low.
It’s shockingly high.
Monday, March 13, 2006
"Bush without the charm"
From the New Yorker:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- People in Class Houses
- The People, Yes
- 11th Hour 6th District Reviews
- The Nation: Cegelis Understands the Lessons of Ira...
- "Find Out What It Means To Me..."
- These Boots ARE Made For Walkin'
- 6th District Candidates Differ on Bush's Tax Cuts ...
- "Christine Cegelis : Hitting Her Stride"
- Peter LaBarbera: Bathhouse Sex With HIV Positive G...
- "Stand Up to the Beltway Democrats"
- All Aboard!
- Six, Six, Six,
- While 5,000 American Women Die of Cervical Cancer ...
- "Bush without the charm"
- Mr. 18% in DuPage
- "The president has broken the law and he must be h...
- "When I actually do something, we'll let you know....
- Bloodbath and Bank Accounts
- You know, I'll bet more people see THAT than the p...
- "Cegelis v. The Machine"
- jux·ta·pose -- to place side by side, especially f...
- Patriot Action for Civil Liberties
- ▼ March (22)
- ► 2005 (555)