A liberal Democrat and potential White House contender is proposing censuring President Bush for authorizing domestic eavesdropping, saying the White House misled Americans about its legality.If other D.C. Democrats won't stand up to this administration's lawlessness -- even with Bush's approval rating at a new low of 37% -- someone please tell me what in the world are they waiting for?
"The president has broken the law and, in some way, he must be held accountable," Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., told The Associated Press in an interview.
A censure resolution, which simply would scold the president, has been used just once in U.S. history -- against Andrew Jackson in 1834. ***
The five-page resolution to be introduced on Monday contends that Bush violated the law when, on his own, he set up the eavesdropping program within the National Security Agency in the months following the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. ***
The resolution says the president "repeatedly misled the public" before the disclosure of the NSA program last December when he indicated the administration was relying on court orders to wiretap terror suspects inside the U.S.
"Congress has to reassert our system of government, and the cleanest and the most efficient way to do that is to censure the president," Feingold said. "And, hopefully, he will acknowledge that he did something wrong." ***
A longtime critic of the administration, Feingold was the first senator to urge a withdrawal timetable for U.S. troops in Iraq and was the only senator to vote in 2001 against the USA Patriot Act, the post-Sept. 11 law that expanded the government's surveillance and prosecutorial powers. He also voted against the 2002 resolution authorizing Bush to use force in Iraq.
Monday, March 13, 2006
"The president has broken the law and he must be held accountable"
Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., is building on his lead in the "My Favorite Senator" competition:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- People in Class Houses
- The People, Yes
- 11th Hour 6th District Reviews
- The Nation: Cegelis Understands the Lessons of Ira...
- "Find Out What It Means To Me..."
- These Boots ARE Made For Walkin'
- 6th District Candidates Differ on Bush's Tax Cuts ...
- "Christine Cegelis : Hitting Her Stride"
- Peter LaBarbera: Bathhouse Sex With HIV Positive G...
- "Stand Up to the Beltway Democrats"
- All Aboard!
- Six, Six, Six,
- While 5,000 American Women Die of Cervical Cancer ...
- "Bush without the charm"
- Mr. 18% in DuPage
- "The president has broken the law and he must be h...
- "When I actually do something, we'll let you know....
- Bloodbath and Bank Accounts
- You know, I'll bet more people see THAT than the p...
- "Cegelis v. The Machine"
- jux·ta·pose -- to place side by side, especially f...
- Patriot Action for Civil Liberties
- ▼ March (22)
- ► 2005 (555)