Concerned about politicizing her favorite charity, singer-actress Jessica Simpson Wednesday turned down a invitation to meet with President Bush, a snub that left Republicans dismayed.Huzzah for Jessica Simpson!
The apparent final word that Simpson would be a no-show at a major Republican fund-raiser with Bush and congressional leaders Thursday night came after a day of conflicting reports from her camp and organizers of the event.
The blond star of the film “The Dukes of Hazzard” still plans to visit Washington Thursday to lobby members of Congress on behalf of Operation Smile, a non-profit venture offering free plastic surgery for disadvantaged children overseas with facial deformities.
People close to Simpson said she declined a request to appear that same evening at the gala fund-raiser of the National Republican Congressional Committee — even after she was offered some private face time with Bush — because Operation Smile is a non-partisan group.
“It just feels wrong,” one Simpson insider told Reuters Wednesday, adding that the actress keeps her political views private. “She would love to meet the president and talk about Operation Smile ... but she can’t do it at a fund-raiser for the Republican Party.”
Thursday, March 16, 2006
These Boots ARE Made For Walkin'
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- People in Class Houses
- The People, Yes
- 11th Hour 6th District Reviews
- The Nation: Cegelis Understands the Lessons of Ira...
- "Find Out What It Means To Me..."
- These Boots ARE Made For Walkin'
- 6th District Candidates Differ on Bush's Tax Cuts ...
- "Christine Cegelis : Hitting Her Stride"
- Peter LaBarbera: Bathhouse Sex With HIV Positive G...
- "Stand Up to the Beltway Democrats"
- All Aboard!
- Six, Six, Six,
- While 5,000 American Women Die of Cervical Cancer ...
- "Bush without the charm"
- Mr. 18% in DuPage
- "The president has broken the law and he must be h...
- "When I actually do something, we'll let you know....
- Bloodbath and Bank Accounts
- You know, I'll bet more people see THAT than the p...
- "Cegelis v. The Machine"
- jux·ta·pose -- to place side by side, especially f...
- Patriot Action for Civil Liberties
- ▼ March (22)
- ► 2005 (555)