Wednesday, July 20, 2005
James Montgomery Doohan (March 3, 1920 — July 20, 2005)
James Doohan participated in the invasion of Juno Beach on D-Day as a captain with the Royal Canadian Artillery.
At 11:30 that night, he was machine-gunned, taking six hits: one that took off his middle right finger (he managed to hide the missing finger on screen), four in his leg and one in the chest. The chest bullet was stopped by his silver cigarette case.
Despite his wounds, Doohan remained in the military, trained as a pilot for the Royal Canadian Air Force, and flew an artillery observation plane, though he was once labeled the "craziest pilot in the Canadian Air Forces".
Later in life, Mr. Doohan did some acting.
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ONE IN THREE HUMVEES IN IRAQ INADEQUATELY ARMORED
- HAPPY 6th ANNUAL SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR APPRECIATION...
- SUPPORT OUR GUN LOBBYISTS!
- A REAL WINNER
- WHEN BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD WRITERS
- FARM AID COMING TO ILLINOIS
- Although I like a good George W. Bush joke as much...
- ILLINOIS POLITICS OF DEATH
- BOTTLE ROCKETS IN CHICAGO
- THE BOTTLE ROCKETS
- RETIRE AND JOIN THE ARMY Pt. II
- RETIRE AND JOIN THE ARMY
- "Professionally Stupid, If Not Worse"
- REVEALED: BARACK OBAMA DOES NOT SHARE MY VALUES
- OBAMA ON ROBERTS' NOMINATION
- COOK COUNTY REPUBLICANS: GAY GAMES JUST TOO GAY
- JOHN ROBERTS, JR.: ANOTHER CONSERVATIVE CHICKENHAW...
- James Montgomery Doohan (March 3, 1920 — July 20, ...
- BUSH'S HIGH STANDARDS
- THE FIRST QUESTION
- FAR-RIGHT PORTRAYS ROBERTS AS FAR-RIGHT
- "A More Controversial Confirmation Process"
- CIVIL RIGHTS MILESTONE
- STATE'S ATTORNEYS PLAY MORE GAMES WITH DEATH PENAL...
- GOP CHICKEN-HAWKS FAIL TO SUPPORT VETERANS
- THE KID'S RIGHT
- THERE ARE WORSE THINGS THAN BEING SHOT
- PANKAU DROPS OUT -- AND THEN THERE WAS ONE
- GOP LEADERS TO METRA, PACE AND CTA RIDERS: DROP DE...
- CARNEY: ROSKAM IS "TOO CONSERVATIVE FOR MY TASTE"
- CLINTON/BLAGO '08?
- AND THEN THERE WERE TWO
- 100% POST-CONSUMER CONTENT
- DOWN BY 17
- OUTTA THE RED
- ▼ July (35)