A Criminal Court judge on Monday took prosecutors to task after they argued for the death penalty in a case where they previously had approved a life sentence in plea talks.Previous capital punishment gamesmanship
Judge Stuart Palmer raised his voice when he said from the bench that all the facts in the case against Raul Lemus were known in April 2003, when prosecutors told Palmer they would accept a sentence of life in prison if Lemus would plead guilty.
"Not a single fact has changed," Palmer said, adding that state's attorneys told him they felt a life sentence was appropriate."
"And today you don't," he said after prosecutors finished their arguments at a sentencing hearing for Lemus. "We're talking about a man's life here, and it appears to me that the state's position is he deserves the death penalty because he didn't plead guilty fast enough."
Tuesday, July 19, 2005
STATE'S ATTORNEYS PLAY MORE GAMES WITH DEATH PENALTY
From your Chicago Tribune:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ONE IN THREE HUMVEES IN IRAQ INADEQUATELY ARMORED
- HAPPY 6th ANNUAL SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR APPRECIATION...
- SUPPORT OUR GUN LOBBYISTS!
- A REAL WINNER
- WHEN BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD WRITERS
- FARM AID COMING TO ILLINOIS
- Although I like a good George W. Bush joke as much...
- ILLINOIS POLITICS OF DEATH
- BOTTLE ROCKETS IN CHICAGO
- THE BOTTLE ROCKETS
- RETIRE AND JOIN THE ARMY Pt. II
- RETIRE AND JOIN THE ARMY
- "Professionally Stupid, If Not Worse"
- REVEALED: BARACK OBAMA DOES NOT SHARE MY VALUES
- OBAMA ON ROBERTS' NOMINATION
- COOK COUNTY REPUBLICANS: GAY GAMES JUST TOO GAY
- JOHN ROBERTS, JR.: ANOTHER CONSERVATIVE CHICKENHAW...
- James Montgomery Doohan (March 3, 1920 — July 20, ...
- BUSH'S HIGH STANDARDS
- THE FIRST QUESTION
- FAR-RIGHT PORTRAYS ROBERTS AS FAR-RIGHT
- "A More Controversial Confirmation Process"
- CIVIL RIGHTS MILESTONE
- STATE'S ATTORNEYS PLAY MORE GAMES WITH DEATH PENAL...
- GOP CHICKEN-HAWKS FAIL TO SUPPORT VETERANS
- THE KID'S RIGHT
- THERE ARE WORSE THINGS THAN BEING SHOT
- PANKAU DROPS OUT -- AND THEN THERE WAS ONE
- GOP LEADERS TO METRA, PACE AND CTA RIDERS: DROP DE...
- CARNEY: ROSKAM IS "TOO CONSERVATIVE FOR MY TASTE"
- CLINTON/BLAGO '08?
- AND THEN THERE WERE TWO
- 100% POST-CONSUMER CONTENT
- DOWN BY 17
- OUTTA THE RED
- ▼ July (35)