Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.) should quit playing games and support Christine Cegelis for Congress. Cegelis is running for the second time for Henry Hyde's seat in the suburban 6th District that includes northeast DuPage County and northwest Cook County.Emphasis added.
As Sun-Times columnist Lynn Sweet reported, Emanuel courted Army Major "Tammy" Duckworth to run as the Democratic candidate. He cynically believes that people will vote for her just because she is a wounded veteran of the Iraq War. She has no political platform and no indigenous campaign organization. She is still undergoing physical therapy for her war injuries and she had to get permission from the military to run. She will leave active duty on Dec. 1 to do so.
Apparently the campaign staff and cash would be helicoptered in from Washington because there has been no base built in the district even though nominating petitions are to be filed beginning Dec. 12. David Alexrod has been picked by Emanuel to run her public relations campaign locally.
As a candidate produced a couple of weeks before petitions are to be filed in an election for which she has yet to campaign, running is neither in Duckworth's best interest nor the party's. Emanuel just wants her to run because he can control her and use her in photo opportunities for the party. ***
Cegelis' sin in the eyes of Emanuel is that she has raised only $160,000 this year and has only $50,000 in the bank. Washington insiders believe that only campaigns that raise $1 million win. Emanuel previously tried and failed to get some personally wealthy Democrat to jump in the race. Failing that, he is putting up a war veteran in the hope of winning the sympathy and patriotic vote despite the fact that the majority of Americans now want to get out of Iraq.
The national Democratic Party would do better to send money and support to Cegelis. She, her more than 100 campaign volunteers, and the Democrats and Republicans in the 6th District who voted for her last time, have earned the right to run this race.
Tuesday, November 29, 2005
Dick Simpson: "Time for Emanuel to support Cegelis in 6th"
From your Chicago Sun-Times:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- Dick Simpson: "Time for Emanuel to support Cegelis...
- DC: 2008 Dammit!
- Berkowitz: Roskam a November Loser
- Charges Dropped Against Neil Steinberg
- Barack River Times
- Barack Obama Imagines an Adult President
- Radio To Be Thankful For
- Lunch and Obama - $40
- Bush in Asia: It Was So Much Easier to Get Out of ...
- 6th District GOP Candidate: "Roskam is way, way o...
- Denny's Special: The Chickenhawk Slam
- Worm's Career Meets Its Waterloo
- Doggin' Durbin
- So Denny, How Was YOUR Day?
- Fitzgerald Indicts Lord Black of Crossharbour
- "Emanuel Should Support Cegelis"
- Half-wit Pride
- 1000 Words
- Plan B - Wing-Nut Fundamentalism Applied to Your F...
- Dan Savage: Rise Up, Straight People!
- Is Torture Justified?
- If Scooter Says He Loves You...
- Obama: America's First Green President?
- One of the Good Ones
- Industrial Strength Bad Taste
- Terminated Vote: Rise of the Machines
- Durbin: Chalabi Is No Honored Guest
- Headache for Ice Cream Man
- In the Interests of Balance
- A Friend Indeed
- Novak: Novak's Argument is Claptrap
- Even a Broken Clock, etc.
- Environmental Round-Up
- Amen and Amen
- What About the Children?!?
- Bush Approval Rating -- 35 Percent
- Sen. Obama Honors Rosa Parks
- Obama to appear on The Daily Show
- Sen. Obama to Speak at Rosa Parks' Funeral
- Wurf: Roskam Defined
- ▼ November (40)