The United Nations said Tuesday that more than 34,000 Iraqi civilians were killed in sectarian violence last year, nearly three times the number reported dead by the Iraqi government.Your Chicago Tribune put the Iraqi civilian death toll in the fifth paragraph of its page one story.
Underscoring the peril faced by Iraqis, 142 were killed or found dead Tuesday.
Gianni Magazzeni, the chief of the U.N. Assistance Mission for Iraq, said 34,452 civilians were killed and 36,685 were wounded last year.
Wednesday, January 17, 2007
Page 25 News?
AP story from the twenty-fifth page of your Chicago Sun-Times:-- next to a story about "every gadget fan's nightmare":
- ► 2008 (244)
- TONIGHT: Greater Chicago Caucus
- SCAM: An ignorant, wide-eyed, weak-kneed, ridiculo...
- Bears Hold the Line Against Fan
- NEW: The So-Called "Austin Mayor" End User License...
- "The Confidence and the Courage to Enjoy Life"
- "Before truth gets its pants on..."
- Richard Roeper Reviewed
- Is Five Months Too Soon for Nostalgia?
- Hey Ya Bums -- Let's Class This Dump Up A Little B...
- That'll Teach Ya Ta Vote!
- The Sun-Times Chimera Column
- For the Record - Barack Obama's Christian Faith
- Fossil Fools
- People Leaving; No Time for Chicago
- Daley Backs Bears' Drive to the Championship
- Moss Buff
- Tribune Funny Business
- Your Source for Nakedly Recursive Sophistry
- Page 25 News?
- And His Mother was Jewish.
- The Army: It's Everything You Like!
- Iraq and Iran - Escalate and Expand
- A Reminder...
- This Beefcake Post Does NOT Mean I'm Gay...
- Death = Silence
- Who Knew?
- ▼ January (27)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)