Happy Fair Use Day: July 11Like grandma always said, "Use it or lose it."
Cory Doctorow: Happy fair use day! Go quote something!
Fair use is the smallest part of the public's side of copyright. Sure, we have the right to quote, time-shift, format-shift, transform and so on. But the big piece is all the stuff that copyright shouldn't/doesn't touch: selling used media, watching your movies no matter what country you're in, the right to privacy in the books you read, and so on. All these are under fire in the copyright wars (I once had an argument with a MPAA vice president who wanted to make it impossible to watch a movie anonymously).If you want to do something to preserve the public's side of the copyright bargain, check out the Access to Knowledge Treaty, a proposed treaty that the UN's World Intellectual Property Organization has recently green-lighted.
Wednesday, July 11, 2007
July 11: Cut, Paste, Post
- ► 2008 (244)
- Never Forget: The Customer Is Always Right
- What's A Meta For?
- Feeling Better
- Friday LOLCat Blogging
- GOP: Free Speech for Me, But Not for Thee
- GOP: War For Thee, But Not For Me
- An Unwelcome Revelation
- The Enemy's Home - While the Cat's Away...
- Nostalgia Just Isn't What It Used To Be...
- Get It On!
- "I'd have looked it up dear, but I didn't wanna be...
- Monotheistic Monomania
- Two Eight Two Zero Zero Zero Zero Zero Zero
- al-Qaida's Resurgence: Silly me -- I thought it wa...
- Perjury Means Prison... For Guys Named "Muhammad"
- Spike Up. Taper Down. Repeat.
- Second Amendment Porn
- July 11: Cut, Paste, Post
- Pope: Methodists Suck.
- Republican Elephant Crap Thrills Wheaton
- L'Asshole? C'est Moi?
- Pumpkin Squashes Indie Retailers
- It's Still a Work in Progress...
- Friends in Low Places
- "Stiffen the sinews, Summon up the blood"
- Duuuude -- What if they're right side up and we're...
- Uhh... You got any with Jughead in 'em?
- I'll Sleep When I'm Dead.
- ▼ July (30)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)