The measure fell 13 votes short of the two-thirds requirement to override the veto. The vote was 273-156, as 54 Republicans voted with Democrats to pass the bill, compared with 53 GOP members who voted for the bill when it first passed. Only two Democrats voted to sustain the veto compared with six who voted against the bill originally.And Bush couldn't be happier.
In the Illinois delegation, all 10 Democrats voted to override. Seven Republicans voted to uphold the veto while two, Reps. Mark Kirk and Ray LaHood, voted against the president.
Friday, October 19, 2007
GOP TO KIDS: DROP DEAD
From your Chicago Tribune:
- ► 2008 (244)
- November is National Novel Writing Month
- A Modest Proposal
- "I am good-natured and provide satisfaction."
- Match.com v. Lonely Pedant
- The views expressed in this post are not necessari...
- Zakaria on Iran: A Roaring Mouse is Still a Mouse....
- Democrats Score 90% -- Still Face Possibility of F...
- thingpart by joe sayers
- You will never live if you are looking for the mea...
- News You Can Use
- Monkeys: Nature's Furry Goblins
- Rowling: Wizard is a Friend of Dorthy
- GOP TO KIDS: DROP DEAD
- "Oh. Hey. You Just Caught Us Blogging."
- A Simpler Time
- Christian Clowns Redux Perfected
- Gimmick Infringement
- Christian Clowns
- No Justice Polar Ice Cap, No Peace
- Lou Pearlman: 'N Sync with GOP
- SCAM Scoop: 6th District Congressional Announcemen...
- "Hey Chicago, What Do You Say?"
- Naomi Klein: The Shock Doctrine
- Pin-Heads at the Sun-Times
- How Low Can Cyst-Boy Go?
- Iraq Vets Get "Real" on Cyst-Boy's Ass
- Help the General Lance the Boil on the Ass of the ...
- Hey Kid -- It's Called "Journalism"
- The Bush Tax Cuts at Work
- The Audacity of Newt
- Daddy Daughter Dance
- ▼ October (32)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)