The 3-year-old boy who fell into Lake Michigan's frigid waters while strapped in his stroller in April has fully recovered, defying the odds and celebrating today with the firefighters, paramedics, doctors and nurses who saved him.I guess the best way to learn a new language is still immersion.
Little Lazar Ognjenovic was out for a walk with his grandfather on April 18 when the stroller he was strapped in blew into Belmont Harbor, where water temperature was 42 degrees.
After weeks in intensive care and months in rehabilitation, Lazar is scheduled to start pre-school in a few weeks, officials said today at a press conference at Children's Memorial Hospital.
"He is absolutely normal," said Dr. Leon Epstein, chief of neurology at Children's Memorial Hospital. "He walks and talks and acts absolutely like a 3-year-old boy."
He also now speaks English. The boy, whose parents are Serbian, only spoke Serbian when he entered the hospital. Now, after months surrounded by English-speaking hospital staff, he is fluent in a second language.
Friday, August 15, 2008
Good News, Bad Pun
From your Chicago Sun-Times:
- This Election Will Be About Judgment
- Empty Skirt
- Alaska on Alaskan Lass: Alas Alack
- First Impressions of Sarah Palin
- This Year's Model
- McCain's Palin Faces Probe
- Obama's Country Closer
- High Wire Act
- Two Thumbs Down for Jay-Hole
- SCAM Reminder: Keep Getting Up!
- Truly, there is no higher praise.
- Bill Clinton Speech Preview?
- Bush and McCain -- Twin Terrors
- Is the enemy of my enemy my friend?
- My lickspittle told me I never cease to amaze him....
- Olympic Taekwondon't
- Candorville: Still Too Good for the Chicago Tribun...
- Burying the "Born Alive" Controversy
- John McMansions
- Maya Angelou Thinks I Suck
- Vietnam Prisoner of War: Why I Will Not Vote for J...
- Today's Huffington Post Chicago Exclusive!
- McCain ♥ Bush
- Blog crawl -- Steinbook Roundup, Pt. 7
- Obama Supports the Troops... and Vice Versa
- Good News, Bad Pun
- Huffington Post Chicago: My First Impression
- A Small Joke By, For and About the Comic Book Geek...
- WurfWhile: Lindy Scott Weighs In On McCain “The On...
- Transcribed: Voice Mail from a Republican
- An Open Letter to John Edwards
- "Enemy combatant" will have served his full senten...
- John McCain: Mr. Buffalo Chip
- Bill Thomasson is The Man
- SCAM Midyear Prognostication
- Sorry I'm Late...
- ▼ August (36)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)