Neither Iraq war veteran Tammy Duckworth, technology consultant Christine Cegelis nor college professor Lindy Scott thinks the landmark Roe v. Wade case legalizing abortion nationally should be overturned.So it seems that, if keeping the government out of a woman's reproductive choices is important to you, there is only one choice in this race.
But Scott, who teaches at Wheaton College, calls himself “pro-life” anyway and points to his membership in a group called Democrats for Life. Scott said he “cherishes life” and would work in Congress to promote spending on day care to encourage women to not have abortions.
Cegelis said Scott is trying to have it both ways on the issue. Scott said he’s merely being “consistent with my beliefs. It doesn’t satisfy the far left or far right.” He also argues his approach would help redefine the debate in which single-issue voters break to the GOP on abortion.
Requiring parental notification when a minor wants an abortion also divides the Democrats. Cegelis opposes such a law while Scott supports it.
Duckworth’s position, though, has been elusive. She told the Daily Herald last December she opposed parental notification. Asked Friday, she initially said the idea appealed to her if a judicial bypass for cases of incest and abuse were included.
When pressed, Duckworth said, “I really don’t know.”
Thursday, February 09, 2006
How Many Pro-Choice Candidates Are In The 6th Dist. Primary?
One might think that it would be easy to answer that question, but this story from the Daily Herald indicates that Christine Cegelis may be the only solidly pro-choice candidate in the race:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- 3, 97 and Other Primary Numbers
- Tribune Endorsements
- Christine Cegelis on Air America Radio
- "In An Illinois Primary, Three's A Crowd"
- "Go Christine!"
- Tribune: Cegelis Supported by National Progressive...
- "They Are Won By Men (And Women)"
- Getting To Know The Foreign Power That Will Contro...
- Port o' Bull
- Emanuel Honors Olympians
- Big Games in a Big Tent
- Five Years of Magical Thinking
- Taking a Stand Against Taking a Stand
- Hastert Says "No" to Ethics Proposal
- 6th Dist Dem Round Table on 91.5 FM
- Machinists Union Behind Christine Cegelis In 6th D...
- 6th and 848
- "One of the worst days of my life."
- Less is More
- Gov. Ryan Walking?
- Postmodernism 1, Premodernism 0
- S.D. Provides Lesson for 6th Dist. Dems
- Imitation is the Sweetest form of flattery.
- Durbin Calls for Public Financing of Elections
- Let's Lynch the Landlord, Man
- How Many Pro-Choice Candidates Are In The 6th Dist...
- GOP Budget Targets Widows and Orphans
- IL-6 Dem Primary in a Nutshell
- 2 Cents on 6th Dist
- Denny: Record Gas Prices/Profits are merely a P.R....
- "Verdict First -- Reasoning Afterwards!"
- State of the Union Review
- 6th District Scuffle
- ▼ February (33)
- ► 2005 (555)