He wears Jesus' robes and a neon blue halo, looks like Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama and is causing a stir at a Chicago art school. An undergraduate student's papier mache sculpture of Obama as a messianic figure -- entitled "Blessing" -- went on display Saturday at a downtown gallery run by the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.Well crap, I suppose the Sentator won't be a fan of my art -- "Blessing 2" -- either
By Monday, word of the piece had spread on political blogs, and the school had been flooded with calls. ***
Obama's campaign worked Monday to distance the Illinois senator from the artwork.
"While we respect First Amendment rights and don't think the artist was trying to be offensive, Senator Obama, as a rule, isn't a fan of art that offends religious sensibilities," said Obama spokeswoman Jen Psaki.
Tuesday, April 03, 2007
Breaking: Art Student Offends the Easily Offended!
From the Associate Press:
- ► 2008 (244)
- The Worst Summer Job
- Bush's International Sex Czar: Screw As I Say, Not...
- "All animals are equal, but some are more equal th...
- Fine Line
- "Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones, But We Also...
- Bill Moyers: The Power of Myth
- Alias: Captain United
- Psst! Google Never Forgets
- Your Chicago Sun-Times Going to Orwell in a Handba...
- This is What Happens When You Leave the Journalism...
- This for the People Of The Sun
- Naisy Dolar for the 50th Ward
- By Demand: Todd Scalzo for Wheaton
- Todd Scalzo for Wheaton City Council
- The Close of the Neolithic and the Dawn of a New A...
- Stone Walling Muslims in the 50th?
- Chicago Forecast: Rage
- It Wasn't Just the Racism.
- "No one could have imagined using planes as a miss...
- It's Time for the 50th to Move Out of the Stone Ag...
- God Bless You, Mr. Vonnegut.
- "Heroic or Meritorious Achievement"
- Stone Throwing in the 50th Ward
- Spotted in Oakbrook
- "Here's to alcohol, the cause of -- and solution t...
- Is That All You've Got?
- Dude, They're Giving It Away on the Internets!
- Chicago Aldermania: Let's Get Ready to Ruuumblllll...
- "Science always uses metaphor." -- James Lovelock
- “Well you know something, Mean Gene!”
- Monday's Letterman Show: Too Sexy By Half
- Irresponsible Blogger Strips Context from Alderman...
- Freedom's Song
- "The Power of Christ Compels You."
- Happy Easter
- SSN-Times Exclusive
- Honky Tonk Hero
- Chicago Papers: Aspiring to Pig Slop Relevance?
- Elizabeth Edwards and God
- A Buck a Band Ain't Bad
- Breaking: Art Student Offends the Easily Offended...
- "The barrier to high-speed rail isn't economic or ...
- Jagged Little Humps
- Chicago Police De-Cline
- ▼ April (45)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)