On Friday March 30, 2007 at around 3:00pm, Mr. Kuldip Singh Nag, a Sikh American who was awarded the Bronze Star for his service in the U.S. Navy during the first Gulf War, was at his home in Joliet, IL when a local police officer noticed that a van parked on Mr. Nag’s private property had expired registration tags. Upon being confronted with this, Mr. Nag’s wife, Vera Kaur Nag, informed the officer that the van is parked on their driveway and was inoperable.The Bronze Star may be awarded for bravery, acts of merit, or meritorious service. When awarded for bravery, it is the fourth-highest combat award of the U.S. Armed Forces, just above the Purple Heart.
Mr. Nag then came outside to answer the officer’s questions regarding the van. The Joliet police officer then demanded that Mr. Nag park the van inside his garage and not on the driveway, to which Mr. Nag responded to the officer that it was not possible and that regardless, the van is parked on his private property and he has a right to park it on his driveway.
At this moment, the officer pulled out his pepper spray and attacked Mr. Nag. As Mr. Nag screamed in agony, the officer removed his baton and violently struck Mr. Nag numerous times until he fell to the ground. While the assault ensued, the officer was reported by both Mr. and Mrs. Nag as saying, “You f****** Arab! You f***** immigrant, go back to you f****** country before I kill you!”
Mr. Nag's wife and six year-old child both witnessed the violent assault, which resulted in Mr. Nag immediately being admitted to the hospital where he stayed for five days due to complaints of intense pain and head trauma.
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
"Heroic or Meritorious Achievement"
From the Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund website:
- ► 2008 (244)
- The Worst Summer Job
- Bush's International Sex Czar: Screw As I Say, Not...
- "All animals are equal, but some are more equal th...
- Fine Line
- "Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones, But We Also...
- Bill Moyers: The Power of Myth
- Alias: Captain United
- Psst! Google Never Forgets
- Your Chicago Sun-Times Going to Orwell in a Handba...
- This is What Happens When You Leave the Journalism...
- This for the People Of The Sun
- Naisy Dolar for the 50th Ward
- By Demand: Todd Scalzo for Wheaton
- Todd Scalzo for Wheaton City Council
- The Close of the Neolithic and the Dawn of a New A...
- Stone Walling Muslims in the 50th?
- Chicago Forecast: Rage
- It Wasn't Just the Racism.
- "No one could have imagined using planes as a miss...
- It's Time for the 50th to Move Out of the Stone Ag...
- God Bless You, Mr. Vonnegut.
- "Heroic or Meritorious Achievement"
- Stone Throwing in the 50th Ward
- Spotted in Oakbrook
- "Here's to alcohol, the cause of -- and solution t...
- Is That All You've Got?
- Dude, They're Giving It Away on the Internets!
- Chicago Aldermania: Let's Get Ready to Ruuumblllll...
- "Science always uses metaphor." -- James Lovelock
- “Well you know something, Mean Gene!”
- Monday's Letterman Show: Too Sexy By Half
- Irresponsible Blogger Strips Context from Alderman...
- Freedom's Song
- "The Power of Christ Compels You."
- Happy Easter
- SSN-Times Exclusive
- Honky Tonk Hero
- Chicago Papers: Aspiring to Pig Slop Relevance?
- Elizabeth Edwards and God
- A Buck a Band Ain't Bad
- Breaking: Art Student Offends the Easily Offended...
- "The barrier to high-speed rail isn't economic or ...
- Jagged Little Humps
- Chicago Police De-Cline
- ▼ April (45)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)