The Chicago chapter of the Islamic Center of North America says Ald. Bernie Stone (50th) acted inappropriately last week when he stopped the painting of a peace mural by an internationally known artist and a group of 20 high school students.A commenter provided me with this YouTube excerpt of CNN's report on Mr. Ali's work in Great Britan, making public art with folks of all faiths to beautify and build unity in their communities:
Muralist Mohammed Ali was in Chicago through a program with the Arts Council of England, said Mahmood Khan, ICNA president. On Friday morning, he and the teens were painting a skyline and the word "salaam," which means "peace," on the side of ICNA's building in the 6200 block of North California when Stone drove up and shut down the project. ***
Khan said he's also concerned because of comments from Stone that implied the letter "m" in the mural looked like the World Trade Center towers crumbling after the 9/11 attacks.
"I said some of the people were complaining that's what it looks like," Stone said.
Monday, April 16, 2007
Stone Walling Muslims in the 50th?
From your Chicago Sun-Times:
- ► 2008 (244)
- The Worst Summer Job
- Bush's International Sex Czar: Screw As I Say, Not...
- "All animals are equal, but some are more equal th...
- Fine Line
- "Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones, But We Also...
- Bill Moyers: The Power of Myth
- Alias: Captain United
- Psst! Google Never Forgets
- Your Chicago Sun-Times Going to Orwell in a Handba...
- This is What Happens When You Leave the Journalism...
- This for the People Of The Sun
- Naisy Dolar for the 50th Ward
- By Demand: Todd Scalzo for Wheaton
- Todd Scalzo for Wheaton City Council
- The Close of the Neolithic and the Dawn of a New A...
- Stone Walling Muslims in the 50th?
- Chicago Forecast: Rage
- It Wasn't Just the Racism.
- "No one could have imagined using planes as a miss...
- It's Time for the 50th to Move Out of the Stone Ag...
- God Bless You, Mr. Vonnegut.
- "Heroic or Meritorious Achievement"
- Stone Throwing in the 50th Ward
- Spotted in Oakbrook
- "Here's to alcohol, the cause of -- and solution t...
- Is That All You've Got?
- Dude, They're Giving It Away on the Internets!
- Chicago Aldermania: Let's Get Ready to Ruuumblllll...
- "Science always uses metaphor." -- James Lovelock
- “Well you know something, Mean Gene!”
- Monday's Letterman Show: Too Sexy By Half
- Irresponsible Blogger Strips Context from Alderman...
- Freedom's Song
- "The Power of Christ Compels You."
- Happy Easter
- SSN-Times Exclusive
- Honky Tonk Hero
- Chicago Papers: Aspiring to Pig Slop Relevance?
- Elizabeth Edwards and God
- A Buck a Band Ain't Bad
- Breaking: Art Student Offends the Easily Offended...
- "The barrier to high-speed rail isn't economic or ...
- Jagged Little Humps
- Chicago Police De-Cline
- ▼ April (45)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)