A research report published in Applied Economics has found that the number of patients with violence-related injuries treated in hospital emergency rooms is related to the price of beer.Cautionary Note: At the local filling station, a 24 oz. can of Miller High Life cost 25 cents less than a 20 oz. bottle of Coca-Cola.
The researchers examined admissions to 58 hospital accident and emergency departments over a five year period and found that as the price of beer increased, violence-related injuries decreased.
There are three main theories on why alcohol and violence are linked: i) due to the drug effects on the brain; ii) because people use alcohol as an excuse for violent behaviour; iii) because people who use alcohol might be more likely to be violent, perhaps due to personality factors like sensation-seeking, impulsivity or risk-taking.
Of course, these theories are not in competition and all the factors are likely to have some influence, but researchers are keen to find out how they interact to better understand the problem.
Interestingly, the Applied Economics study also looked at a number of other factors linked to violence and found that increases in poverty, unemployment, diversity of ethnic population, the summer months and major sporting events also independently predicted an increase in violence.
Monday, April 09, 2007
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of -- and solution to -- all life's problems."
From the Mind Hacks blog:
- ► 2008 (244)
- The Worst Summer Job
- Bush's International Sex Czar: Screw As I Say, Not...
- "All animals are equal, but some are more equal th...
- Fine Line
- "Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones, But We Also...
- Bill Moyers: The Power of Myth
- Alias: Captain United
- Psst! Google Never Forgets
- Your Chicago Sun-Times Going to Orwell in a Handba...
- This is What Happens When You Leave the Journalism...
- This for the People Of The Sun
- Naisy Dolar for the 50th Ward
- By Demand: Todd Scalzo for Wheaton
- Todd Scalzo for Wheaton City Council
- The Close of the Neolithic and the Dawn of a New A...
- Stone Walling Muslims in the 50th?
- Chicago Forecast: Rage
- It Wasn't Just the Racism.
- "No one could have imagined using planes as a miss...
- It's Time for the 50th to Move Out of the Stone Ag...
- God Bless You, Mr. Vonnegut.
- "Heroic or Meritorious Achievement"
- Stone Throwing in the 50th Ward
- Spotted in Oakbrook
- "Here's to alcohol, the cause of -- and solution t...
- Is That All You've Got?
- Dude, They're Giving It Away on the Internets!
- Chicago Aldermania: Let's Get Ready to Ruuumblllll...
- "Science always uses metaphor." -- James Lovelock
- “Well you know something, Mean Gene!”
- Monday's Letterman Show: Too Sexy By Half
- Irresponsible Blogger Strips Context from Alderman...
- Freedom's Song
- "The Power of Christ Compels You."
- Happy Easter
- SSN-Times Exclusive
- Honky Tonk Hero
- Chicago Papers: Aspiring to Pig Slop Relevance?
- Elizabeth Edwards and God
- A Buck a Band Ain't Bad
- Breaking: Art Student Offends the Easily Offended...
- "The barrier to high-speed rail isn't economic or ...
- Jagged Little Humps
- Chicago Police De-Cline
- ▼ April (45)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)