Hillary Clinton has been regaling supporters on the campaign trail with hair-raising tales of a trip she made to Bosnia in March 1996. In her retelling, she was sent to places that her husband, President Bill Clinton, could not go because they were "too dangerous." When her account was challenged by one of her traveling companions, the comedian Sinbad, she upped the ante and injected even more drama into the story. In a speech earlier this week, she talked about "landing under sniper fire" and running for safety with "our heads down."After eight years of George W. Bush, what this country needs most of all is another president who exaggerates military threats for political advantage.
There are numerous problems with Clinton's version of events. ***
According to [The Washington Post's John Pomfret], the Tuzla airport was "one of the safest places in Bosnia" in March 1996 and "firmly under the control" of the 1st Armored Division.
Far from running to an airport building with their heads down, Clinton and her party were greeted on the tarmac by smiling U.S. and Bosnian officials. An 8-year-old Muslim girl, Emina Bicakcic, read a poem in English. An Associated Press photograph of the greeting ceremony [right] shows a smiling Clinton bending down to receive a kiss.
"There is peace now," Emina told Clinton, according to Pomfret's report in The Post the next day, "because Mr. Clinton signed it. All this peace. I love it." ****
Clinton's tale of landing at the Tuzla airport "under sniper fire" and then running for cover is simply not credible. Photographs and video of the arrival ceremony, combined with contemporaneous news reports, tell a very different story.
Monday, March 24, 2008
From the Washington Post:
- Breaking: Press Release from the Legion of Doom
- Clinton Campaign Returns to the Heady Days of "It ...
- Sen. Obama's Pennsylvania Gutter Politics
- Great Krypton!
- so-called "Answer Man": Free Advice That's Worth E...
- Elephants Donkeys Never Forget
- "I think that I shall never see, sniper fire a poe...
- Don't Mention It!
- Chris Kelly: Nazi Controversy in Bill O'Reilly's C...
- Clinton Drama
- Neil Steinberg: Correction
- Five Years, Four Grand
- I Hate Violence... But I Love Kickin' Ass!
- Mark Evanier Throws His Aunt Under the Bus
- Clinton and Rev. Wright
- Who Inspects the Inspectors General?
- Cat and Girl and Obama
- Iraq: A Five Year Review
- "Balanced" Headlines for Historic Speeches
- James Fallows' Instant Reaction to Barack Obama's ...
- "You wanta make real money, you gotta start a reli...
- Clapton is God(-Awful)
- Get Your Green On.
- Pseudonymous for Anonymous
- A Half-Wit Child Playing War With Real Soldiers
- Oh... Now I get it.
- Experience v. Judgment - A Case Study
- Presidential Scandal Controversy Trivia
- "Turn It Up! Bring the Noise!"
- "I am depressed." -- Taggart, Blazing Saddles
- Save Versus Dork... Failed.
- A Nine Million Dollar Losing Streak
- Foster to Oberweis: "I... Drink... Your... Milksha...
- Attention Shut-Ins and House-Bound Misanthropes fo...
- Sweet: Clinton Writing-Off Taxing Questions
- This Saturday! All Day!
- Tribune: "Oberweis has shown in four campaigns tha...
- KLF: Keep Lobbing Fear
- Ask Not What Your Party Can Do For You...
- Save Versus Sadness
- Free! NIN Ghosts I
- Wellstone Mental Health Fairness Bill
- John Sidney Bigalow: Presidential Gigolo
- A Peanuts Presidential Parable
- Blue Monday: Imagine
- Clinton over Obama on Blackwater et al.
- Enter Sandman
- ▼ March (49)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)