Q: Why is Rezko on trial?I guess they just don't make presidential scandals like they used to.
A: Prosecutors allege he tried to shake down companies seeking contracts from Illinois regulatory boards for campaign contributions and payoffs. They say he used his influence with Gov. Rod Blagojevich to get people appointed to the boards and then threatened to have them block contracts unless the companies paid millions of dollars in kickbacks.
Q: What does that have to do with Obama?
A: Nothing. No one has alleged that Obama has anything to do with the charges against Rezko, nor has Obama been charged with any wrongdoing. Obama has donated to charity the money that Rezko donated to his campaigns, as well as money from other Rezko friends and partners, a total of $150,000. ***
Q: Does Clinton accuse Obama of any specific misconduct?
A: No. Her campaign suggests there must be something improper in Rezko's involvement but doesn't say what. "If the relationship was aboveboard, why won't Sen. Obama address basic inquiries about it? What is it that he is hiding?" said a spokesman.
Q: Has Obama refused to answer "basic inquiries"?
A: No, but he hasn't been completely open either. For instance, he did not disclose until last month that Rezko actually toured the home with him before the purchase. He also has released the e-mail from the home's seller to only one news organization.
Obama hasn't provided details of the fundraisers Rezko held for him, nor has he released documents related to the property, such as the appraisal of the strip of land he bought from Rezko.
Monday, March 10, 2008
Scandal Controversy Trivia
Here is the nut of the AP's nutshell version of the relationship of Tony Rezko and Barack Obama:
- Breaking: Press Release from the Legion of Doom
- Clinton Campaign Returns to the Heady Days of "It ...
- Sen. Obama's Pennsylvania Gutter Politics
- Great Krypton!
- so-called "Answer Man": Free Advice That's Worth E...
- Elephants Donkeys Never Forget
- "I think that I shall never see, sniper fire a poe...
- Don't Mention It!
- Chris Kelly: Nazi Controversy in Bill O'Reilly's C...
- Clinton Drama
- Neil Steinberg: Correction
- Five Years, Four Grand
- I Hate Violence... But I Love Kickin' Ass!
- Mark Evanier Throws His Aunt Under the Bus
- Clinton and Rev. Wright
- Who Inspects the Inspectors General?
- Cat and Girl and Obama
- Iraq: A Five Year Review
- "Balanced" Headlines for Historic Speeches
- James Fallows' Instant Reaction to Barack Obama's ...
- "You wanta make real money, you gotta start a reli...
- Clapton is God(-Awful)
- Get Your Green On.
- Pseudonymous for Anonymous
- A Half-Wit Child Playing War With Real Soldiers
- Oh... Now I get it.
- Experience v. Judgment - A Case Study
- Presidential Scandal Controversy Trivia
- "Turn It Up! Bring the Noise!"
- "I am depressed." -- Taggart, Blazing Saddles
- Save Versus Dork... Failed.
- A Nine Million Dollar Losing Streak
- Foster to Oberweis: "I... Drink... Your... Milksha...
- Attention Shut-Ins and House-Bound Misanthropes fo...
- Sweet: Clinton Writing-Off Taxing Questions
- This Saturday! All Day!
- Tribune: "Oberweis has shown in four campaigns tha...
- KLF: Keep Lobbing Fear
- Ask Not What Your Party Can Do For You...
- Save Versus Sadness
- Free! NIN Ghosts I
- Wellstone Mental Health Fairness Bill
- John Sidney Bigalow: Presidential Gigolo
- A Peanuts Presidential Parable
- Blue Monday: Imagine
- Clinton over Obama on Blackwater et al.
- Enter Sandman
- ▼ March (49)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)