Friday, March 14, 2008

A Half-Wit Child Playing War With Real Soldiers

From Fred Kaplan of Slate:
If further proof were needed that President Bush resides in a dream world, he settled the issue on Thursday definitively.

Speaking by videoconference with U.S. military and civilian personnel in Afghanistan about the challenges posed by war, corruption, and the poppy trade, the president unleashed this comment:

I must say, I'm a little envious. If I were slightly younger and not employed here, I think it would be a fantastic experience to be on the front lines of helping this young democracy succeed. It must be exciting for you … in some ways romantic, in some ways, you know, confronting danger. You're really making history, and thanks.

Go ahead, dear reader, pour yourself a stiff one before trudging on.

Trudge on, if you dare...

4 comments:

Little Merry Sunshine said...

I'm willing to igore his age so he can go over. Heck, I'd even be willing to let him and Cheney skip the last 10 months of his presidency to go over. Of course, I'd support anything that would get him and Cheney out early. I'll throw the good-bye party.

Sleestak said...

"I joined this man's army to fight!"

Etc, etc, from so many WW2 era movies, books and comic books.

Anonymous said...

To bad he didn't feel that way when he went AWOL from the Vietnam war when he could have experienced all the romance war has to offer.

So-Called Austin Mayor said...

After some more reflection, I think I know what that Bush's statement reminds me of. As much as anything, it reminds me of those publicly pious Christians who mourn the fact that they were born to late to be martyred for the Glory of the Lord.

Oh, if only they had had the opportunity to die a lingering and painful death, they would have jumped at the chance to prove their steadfast faith in Jesus and gone to their reward praising the Lord. There simply can be no doubt that the only thing standing between them and their inevitable sainthood was the terrible curse of being born to late for martyrdom.

And that terrible curse is also all that stands between George W. Bush and certain military heroism.

-- SCAM

Followers

Blog Archive