LOS ANGELES — Time Warner is no longer the sole proprietor of Superman.
A federal judge here on Thursday ruled that the heirs of Jerome Siegel — who 70 years ago sold the rights to the action hero he created with Joseph Shuster to Detective Comics for $130 — were entitled to reclaim their share of the U. S. copyright to the character. The ruling left intact Time Warner's international rights to the character, which it has long owned through its DC Comics unit.
And it reserved for trial questions about how much the company may owe the Siegel heirs for use of the character since 1999, when their ownership is deemed to have been restored. Also to be resolved is whether the heirs are entitled to payments directly from Time Warner's film unit, Warner Brothers, which took in $200 million at the domestic box office with its Superman Returns in 2006, or only from the DC unit's Superman profits.
Friday, March 28, 2008
From The New York Times via Mark Evanier:
- Breaking: Press Release from the Legion of Doom
- Clinton Campaign Returns to the Heady Days of "It ...
- Sen. Obama's Pennsylvania Gutter Politics
- Great Krypton!
- so-called "Answer Man": Free Advice That's Worth E...
- Elephants Donkeys Never Forget
- "I think that I shall never see, sniper fire a poe...
- Don't Mention It!
- Chris Kelly: Nazi Controversy in Bill O'Reilly's C...
- Clinton Drama
- Neil Steinberg: Correction
- Five Years, Four Grand
- I Hate Violence... But I Love Kickin' Ass!
- Mark Evanier Throws His Aunt Under the Bus
- Clinton and Rev. Wright
- Who Inspects the Inspectors General?
- Cat and Girl and Obama
- Iraq: A Five Year Review
- "Balanced" Headlines for Historic Speeches
- James Fallows' Instant Reaction to Barack Obama's ...
- "You wanta make real money, you gotta start a reli...
- Clapton is God(-Awful)
- Get Your Green On.
- Pseudonymous for Anonymous
- A Half-Wit Child Playing War With Real Soldiers
- Oh... Now I get it.
- Experience v. Judgment - A Case Study
- Presidential Scandal Controversy Trivia
- "Turn It Up! Bring the Noise!"
- "I am depressed." -- Taggart, Blazing Saddles
- Save Versus Dork... Failed.
- A Nine Million Dollar Losing Streak
- Foster to Oberweis: "I... Drink... Your... Milksha...
- Attention Shut-Ins and House-Bound Misanthropes fo...
- Sweet: Clinton Writing-Off Taxing Questions
- This Saturday! All Day!
- Tribune: "Oberweis has shown in four campaigns tha...
- KLF: Keep Lobbing Fear
- Ask Not What Your Party Can Do For You...
- Save Versus Sadness
- Free! NIN Ghosts I
- Wellstone Mental Health Fairness Bill
- John Sidney Bigalow: Presidential Gigolo
- A Peanuts Presidential Parable
- Blue Monday: Imagine
- Clinton over Obama on Blackwater et al.
- Enter Sandman
- ▼ March (49)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)