This was as good a job as anyone could have done in these circumstances, and as impressive and intelligent a speech as I have heard in a very long time. People thought that Mitt Romney's speech would be the counterpart to John Kennedy's famous speech about his faith to the Houston ministers in 1960. No. This was.And I've got nothing to add to that.
A reminder of a non-obvious but crucial principle in speechwriting. Make the language simple, clear, vivid, and comprehensible -- of course. But never, never talk down.
Will this defuse the Rev. Wright issue? Who knows what cable news will make of the speech. But it was a great moment, to which Barack Obama rose. ***
It was a moment that Obama made great through the seriousness, intelligence, eloquence, and courage of what he said. I don't recall another speech about race with as little pandering or posturing or shying from awkward points, and as much honest attempt to explain and connect, as this one.
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
James Fallows' Instant Reaction to Barack Obama's Speech on Race in America
From The Atlantic:
- Breaking: Press Release from the Legion of Doom
- Clinton Campaign Returns to the Heady Days of "It ...
- Sen. Obama's Pennsylvania Gutter Politics
- Great Krypton!
- so-called "Answer Man": Free Advice That's Worth E...
- Elephants Donkeys Never Forget
- "I think that I shall never see, sniper fire a poe...
- Don't Mention It!
- Chris Kelly: Nazi Controversy in Bill O'Reilly's C...
- Clinton Drama
- Neil Steinberg: Correction
- Five Years, Four Grand
- I Hate Violence... But I Love Kickin' Ass!
- Mark Evanier Throws His Aunt Under the Bus
- Clinton and Rev. Wright
- Who Inspects the Inspectors General?
- Cat and Girl and Obama
- Iraq: A Five Year Review
- "Balanced" Headlines for Historic Speeches
- James Fallows' Instant Reaction to Barack Obama's ...
- "You wanta make real money, you gotta start a reli...
- Clapton is God(-Awful)
- Get Your Green On.
- Pseudonymous for Anonymous
- A Half-Wit Child Playing War With Real Soldiers
- Oh... Now I get it.
- Experience v. Judgment - A Case Study
- Presidential Scandal Controversy Trivia
- "Turn It Up! Bring the Noise!"
- "I am depressed." -- Taggart, Blazing Saddles
- Save Versus Dork... Failed.
- A Nine Million Dollar Losing Streak
- Foster to Oberweis: "I... Drink... Your... Milksha...
- Attention Shut-Ins and House-Bound Misanthropes fo...
- Sweet: Clinton Writing-Off Taxing Questions
- This Saturday! All Day!
- Tribune: "Oberweis has shown in four campaigns tha...
- KLF: Keep Lobbing Fear
- Ask Not What Your Party Can Do For You...
- Save Versus Sadness
- Free! NIN Ghosts I
- Wellstone Mental Health Fairness Bill
- John Sidney Bigalow: Presidential Gigolo
- A Peanuts Presidential Parable
- Blue Monday: Imagine
- Clinton over Obama on Blackwater et al.
- Enter Sandman
- ▼ March (49)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)