QUESTION: Do you think it’s time for a national health care system?
OBAMA: No. I think what we need is to build on programs that are successful. Like KidCare in this state where for less than half what George Bush’s tax cuts cost for the top 1 percent, we could provide health insurance for every child. We can let 55-year-olds to 64-year-olds buy into Medicare for a relatively modest amount. We can make COBRA actually work by providing more subsidies to people when they lose their jobs so they’re not suddenly confronted with $1,000-a-month health premiums when they’re unemployed. Those are all areas we can make an impact on now, but we also have to focus on cost containment.
One of the most frustrating things that I think happened in this last legislative session was this prescription drug bill that’s going to cost $500 billion but is not providing full benefits to seniors because there wasn’t a mechanism in place to allow seniors to join the Medicare system. That hurts seniors and taxpayers. It’s the worst example of big government and George Bush pushed it.
Monday, August 02, 2004
Obama on health care
From the Rockford Register Star:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)
- 40 million links between Bush and Swift Boat Vet
- House Speaker Denny Hastert and the Big Lie
- Encore Booknotes with Jeanne Simon from 1989
- Over-Achieving Underdogs to appear on "At Issue" o...
- 150th Post Multi-Media Spectacular!
- New "Get Your War On"
- On the Decline of Civility
- Vote for Change Tour Pre-Sale
- Computerized Voting
- A Renaissance Man for Kerry
- Keyes v. New England Journal of Medicine
- Alan Keyes' Second Amendment
- Enforce the gun laws already on the books!
- Machine Guns?!?
- Olbermann examines the relationship between Bill R...
- Tonight: John Kerry on "The Daily Show"
- The Cure for What Ails Ya
- Another Vet Stands Up
- Ode on a Grecian/Zorn
- In which I blockquote Patrick J. Buchanan...
- Another ringing endorsement
- Alan Keyes meets "South Illinois"
- "Poor taste"
- "The central question for a journalist in the Plam...
- Broken clock... twice a day...
- Prepare for the Scare
- IL-GOP thinking: "Beguiling, but stupid."
- VOTE TODAY!
- Simplified: Kerry's Position on the Iraq War
- Putting "Race" back into the "Illinois Senate Race...
- The hand of Alan Keyes' God
- Virtual Debate Links
- Virtual Senate Debate on WBEZ
- Top Chicago Journalists Agree: Obama Should Legiti...
- Dear God, NO!
- President Bush's nominee to head the CIA
- Jack Mabley on Alan Keyes
- BREAKING: Keyes leads among Republicans!
- Why Keyes? Revisited
- Because WBEZ does not carry "Day to Day"...
- Why Alan Keyes?
- IL-GOP's best hope against Barack Obama
- Goldberg asks the musical question:
- "This is a Gross Overreaction"
- NYT Mag looks at the South Dakota Senate race
- Obama on health care
- ▼ August (46)