The Washington Post reports that Rear Admiral William L. Schachte Jr., the man who claims John Kerry was not under fire when he received his first Purple Heart, is a top lobbyist for a defense contractor that recently won a $40 million grant from the Bush administration. According to a March 18 legal filing by Mr. Schachte's firm, Blank Rome, Mr. Schachte was one of the lobbyists working for FastShip's effort to secure federal contracts.
Mr. Schachte has other connections to the Bush administration. The Washington Post also notes David Norcross, Schachte's colleague in the Washington office of Blank Rome, is chairman of this week's Republican convention in New York. Additionally, Mr. Schachte helped organize veterans' efforts against Sen. John McCain and for George W. Bush in the 2000 South Carolina primary.
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)
- 40 million links between Bush and Swift Boat Vet
- House Speaker Denny Hastert and the Big Lie
- Encore Booknotes with Jeanne Simon from 1989
- Over-Achieving Underdogs to appear on "At Issue" o...
- 150th Post Multi-Media Spectacular!
- New "Get Your War On"
- On the Decline of Civility
- Vote for Change Tour Pre-Sale
- Computerized Voting
- A Renaissance Man for Kerry
- Keyes v. New England Journal of Medicine
- Alan Keyes' Second Amendment
- Enforce the gun laws already on the books!
- Machine Guns?!?
- Olbermann examines the relationship between Bill R...
- Tonight: John Kerry on "The Daily Show"
- The Cure for What Ails Ya
- Another Vet Stands Up
- Ode on a Grecian/Zorn
- In which I blockquote Patrick J. Buchanan...
- Another ringing endorsement
- Alan Keyes meets "South Illinois"
- "Poor taste"
- "The central question for a journalist in the Plam...
- Broken clock... twice a day...
- Prepare for the Scare
- IL-GOP thinking: "Beguiling, but stupid."
- VOTE TODAY!
- Simplified: Kerry's Position on the Iraq War
- Putting "Race" back into the "Illinois Senate Race...
- The hand of Alan Keyes' God
- Virtual Debate Links
- Virtual Senate Debate on WBEZ
- Top Chicago Journalists Agree: Obama Should Legiti...
- Dear God, NO!
- President Bush's nominee to head the CIA
- Jack Mabley on Alan Keyes
- BREAKING: Keyes leads among Republicans!
- Why Keyes? Revisited
- Because WBEZ does not carry "Day to Day"...
- Why Alan Keyes?
- IL-GOP's best hope against Barack Obama
- Goldberg asks the musical question:
- "This is a Gross Overreaction"
- NYT Mag looks at the South Dakota Senate race
- Obama on health care
- ▼ August (46)