This morning, both of Chicago's page-two columnists, John Kass of the Tribune and Mark Brown in the Sun-Times, feign 'disappointment' that Obama is not going to wallow with Keyes in six debates.
Naturally these daily columnists are disappointed -- Keyes relationship with the press is purely cooperative. The media provide him with a forum for his views and he provides them with bizarre statements and shocking quotes to publish. It is a system that has worked well for both parties.
But for this process to work -- for yet another iteration of Keyes' reactionary views to be 'newsworthy' -- someone has to take Keyes seriously as an Illinois Senate candidate. By refusing to engage Keyes in six debates, Obama merely shows that he is not going to be the first person outside of the IL-GOP central committee to take Keyes' candidacy seriously.
So of course the media-types are upset with Obama -- those post-debate columns would have just written themselves.
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (555)
- 40 million links between Bush and Swift Boat Vet
- House Speaker Denny Hastert and the Big Lie
- Encore Booknotes with Jeanne Simon from 1989
- Over-Achieving Underdogs to appear on "At Issue" o...
- 150th Post Multi-Media Spectacular!
- New "Get Your War On"
- On the Decline of Civility
- Vote for Change Tour Pre-Sale
- Computerized Voting
- A Renaissance Man for Kerry
- Keyes v. New England Journal of Medicine
- Alan Keyes' Second Amendment
- Enforce the gun laws already on the books!
- Machine Guns?!?
- Olbermann examines the relationship between Bill R...
- Tonight: John Kerry on "The Daily Show"
- The Cure for What Ails Ya
- Another Vet Stands Up
- Ode on a Grecian/Zorn
- In which I blockquote Patrick J. Buchanan...
- Another ringing endorsement
- Alan Keyes meets "South Illinois"
- "Poor taste"
- "The central question for a journalist in the Plam...
- Broken clock... twice a day...
- Prepare for the Scare
- IL-GOP thinking: "Beguiling, but stupid."
- VOTE TODAY!
- Simplified: Kerry's Position on the Iraq War
- Putting "Race" back into the "Illinois Senate Race...
- The hand of Alan Keyes' God
- Virtual Debate Links
- Virtual Senate Debate on WBEZ
- Top Chicago Journalists Agree: Obama Should Legiti...
- Dear God, NO!
- President Bush's nominee to head the CIA
- Jack Mabley on Alan Keyes
- BREAKING: Keyes leads among Republicans!
- Why Keyes? Revisited
- Because WBEZ does not carry "Day to Day"...
- Why Alan Keyes?
- IL-GOP's best hope against Barack Obama
- Goldberg asks the musical question:
- "This is a Gross Overreaction"
- NYT Mag looks at the South Dakota Senate race
- Obama on health care
- ▼ August (46)