Protest Bush Visit This Friday in ChicagoIf you attend and (due to a terrible misunderstanding) are placed under arrest, remember this all important rule: If Nobody Talks, Everybody Walks.
Here is a quick recap of the Code Pink meeting in Chicago where they discussed the protest of Mr. Bush's visit this Friday, January 6th.
There were almost 40 people there representing numerous groups:
Mr. Bush is visiting the Board of Trade and then speaking to the Economic Club of Chicago at the Hilton at 720 S. Michigan Avenue. The Hilton is right across from Grant Park, where the demonstration will occur.
There was some discussion about doing a demonstration at the Board of Trade, but that is a very crowded area. There may be a few protesters there, but, since no one knows how the "authorities" will act, it is best to stay with the larger group - safety in numbers.
It is recommended we meet up in Grant Park at 11AM. For those of us coming in from the suburbs, we could plan to meet at Union Station at 10:30 on the Chicago River side and then go down to Grant Park as a group.
We're hoping that several thousand people show up, and from the number of groups represented last night, that does seem possible. The more people that show up, the more "tolerant" the authorities will have to be.
For those of you who remember 1968, this is a very significant site. We don't want a repeat of that, but we do want to be heard and we want Mr. Bush to feel unwelcome in Chicago.
Just like any peaceful protest, stay with a large group. If police or other authorities ask you to do something that you know violates your constitutional rights, this is not the place to have that discussion. There will be several legal groups monitoring the situation and police reaction, but let's try not to get to that point.
Come down to Grant Park with your signs, banners, etc., deliver your message, and return home safely. And make sure you tell your friends and neighbors that you had the guts to be counted.
If any of the chairs of your groups want to have the group listed as a participant in the press releases, send an email to Rachel at email@example.com or to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. ***
If you have any questions, email me or call me at (630)541-7205.
Thursday, January 05, 2006
Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech or the right of the people peaceably to assemble.
The good people at DuPage Against War Now are going to join other Chicagolanders to knock the dust off the First Amendment:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- Happy Holidays!
- "Poppa's got a fat nightcrawler of truth for you."...
- U.S. Army: Trudeau's "Doonesbury" Supports the Tro...
- And that's "Billion"... with a 'B'
- "The Chair Recognizes the Gentleman from Blogginoi...
- "It's not a peacetime force that has been in barra...
- Denny Hastert's No-Holds Barred Rise to Power
- Crime and Punishment
- Prince Pete's Million Dollar "Grassroots" Campaign...
- Is it just me or is it warm in here?
- White House Receieved Detailed, Advance Warning of...
- The Miserable Bush Economy
- Hey Kids, Comics!
- Junky: "Rising Star Obama Echoes Osama"
- Hell is for Children
- Alito's Confirmation: "A serious threat to the nat...
- Well, Dammit!
- Frisbie Playin' in Naperville
- Off- Off- OFF-Broadway Play About Sen. Obama
- Sunday! Sunday! SUNDAY!
- K Street and Kane County
- And I'm sure D.W. Griffith is weeping as well...
- What WILL You Do In the War, Grandpa?
- We've all been there...
- A Million Little Super-Fun-Pak Comix
- "It's like rain on your wedding day..."
- Kelly Hogan on "Chicago Tonight" Tonight
- Attention Hipsters: Silent Auction for Jeff Tweedy...
- Sen. Durbin's Bill Would End Sale of Cell Phone Ca...
- GOP's D.C. Fundraising Syndicate "Rallied Around" ...
- A Message for America
- Are You Ready? -- Are YOU Ready?
- "He may be a son of a bitch, but he's our son of a...
- And That's The Bottom Line -- Kos Stone Cold Said ...
- Merry Chimpsmas!
- I Am Not A Blogger
- 6th Dist. Robo-Calls
- Sen. Durbin Discusses Alito on Air America
- Band Roster for Austin's 20th Anniversary South by...
- Peace Between Catwoman and Wheaton's Favorite Son'...
- Roskam's Fund-Raising Ties to D.C. Lobbyists
- Young yahoos don't read the paper?
- Tribune Exclusive: Barack Obama May Not "Well Spok...
- Sun-Times Freeps Itself on Wheaton College Story
- Hearts and Minds
- The Praise that Pays
- Right Speaker Fade-Out?
- "I pledge to not waste money on CDs that are delib...
- Fine (Half) Line, The Steve Rauschenberger Edition...
- Northfield Labs v. Your First Amendment
- Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom o...
- Recalibrating Your Sensors
- Swamp Life
- “Smoking, eating and Venezuelan diesel are prohibi...
- January: A Month of Great Music for a Great Cause...
- ▼ January (59)
- ► 2005 (555)