Scandals. Another silver lining in the dark clouds over Washington is that it might be a swiftly breaking storm. It’s taken less than five years for the Republican Idea to reveal itself as a grotesque falsehood. Now we’ve got great seats as a whole host of first-term crimes hatch into second-term scandals. The Plame Game, Jack Abramoff’s web of Republican intrigue, Bill Frist’s financial indiscretions, domestic spying, the cronyism exposed by Brownie’s heck of a job during Katrina — these were ineptitudes and overreaches of Nixonian dimension that, for the sake of the country, need vigorous public exposure.And my Reason to Be Glad Bush Is Still President is that the Democratic congressional candidates can now all run against the shockingly unpopular president.
Had Bush simply escaped, his malfeasances would have vanished into the past. Now they’ll emerge, in all their glorious criminality, and the country will really get to see Dorian Gray’s portrait. If we’re lucky, another three years will be just enough time for the Republicans to sabotage their own chances at their “permanent majority.”
As they might say down in Texas, give a guy enough rope...
Friday, January 06, 2006
Hold your nose and join me in reading 4 Reasons to Be Glad Bush Is Still President by Ezra Klein and Joshuah Berman
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- Happy Holidays!
- "Poppa's got a fat nightcrawler of truth for you."...
- U.S. Army: Trudeau's "Doonesbury" Supports the Tro...
- And that's "Billion"... with a 'B'
- "The Chair Recognizes the Gentleman from Blogginoi...
- "It's not a peacetime force that has been in barra...
- Denny Hastert's No-Holds Barred Rise to Power
- Crime and Punishment
- Prince Pete's Million Dollar "Grassroots" Campaign...
- Is it just me or is it warm in here?
- White House Receieved Detailed, Advance Warning of...
- The Miserable Bush Economy
- Hey Kids, Comics!
- Junky: "Rising Star Obama Echoes Osama"
- Hell is for Children
- Alito's Confirmation: "A serious threat to the nat...
- Well, Dammit!
- Frisbie Playin' in Naperville
- Off- Off- OFF-Broadway Play About Sen. Obama
- Sunday! Sunday! SUNDAY!
- K Street and Kane County
- And I'm sure D.W. Griffith is weeping as well...
- What WILL You Do In the War, Grandpa?
- We've all been there...
- A Million Little Super-Fun-Pak Comix
- "It's like rain on your wedding day..."
- Kelly Hogan on "Chicago Tonight" Tonight
- Attention Hipsters: Silent Auction for Jeff Tweedy...
- Sen. Durbin's Bill Would End Sale of Cell Phone Ca...
- GOP's D.C. Fundraising Syndicate "Rallied Around" ...
- A Message for America
- Are You Ready? -- Are YOU Ready?
- "He may be a son of a bitch, but he's our son of a...
- And That's The Bottom Line -- Kos Stone Cold Said ...
- Merry Chimpsmas!
- I Am Not A Blogger
- 6th Dist. Robo-Calls
- Sen. Durbin Discusses Alito on Air America
- Band Roster for Austin's 20th Anniversary South by...
- Peace Between Catwoman and Wheaton's Favorite Son'...
- Roskam's Fund-Raising Ties to D.C. Lobbyists
- Young yahoos don't read the paper?
- Tribune Exclusive: Barack Obama May Not "Well Spok...
- Sun-Times Freeps Itself on Wheaton College Story
- Hearts and Minds
- The Praise that Pays
- Right Speaker Fade-Out?
- "I pledge to not waste money on CDs that are delib...
- Fine (Half) Line, The Steve Rauschenberger Edition...
- Northfield Labs v. Your First Amendment
- Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom o...
- Recalibrating Your Sensors
- Swamp Life
- “Smoking, eating and Venezuelan diesel are prohibi...
- January: A Month of Great Music for a Great Cause...
- ▼ January (59)
- ► 2005 (555)