A play based on Senator Barrack Obama's autobiography will be staged at the Kenya National Theatre in a month's time.Roadtrip anyone?
The Obama Dream is adapted from the Senator's autobiography Dream's from My Father and is directed by George Orido. ***
Senator Obama (Illinois) is an American whose father was a Kenyan from Siaya, Nyanza. He made history by becoming the youngest of the few blacks who have sat in the Senate. His story is therefore inspirational and one about overcoming all odds and making it to the top.
Whether Orido has managed to adopt the work successfully is open to debate and will be judged by those who watch the play at the Kenya National Theatre next month.
Orido's play has a cast of 50 and includes numerous musical scores in Luo and Western styles. Meshack Warambo is training the dancers while Orido is directing. Rehearsals are on at the KNT.
Racial harmony, hard work, determination and freedom are the underlying themes in the Obama play, which also underscores the dignity of one's ancestry and family values. And, watching the rehearsals, one sees a production that retains the beauty of the book although Orido does not dwell so much on the American point of view.
Orido is no stranger to script writing, directing and acting. He wrote and produced Loud Whispers, a one man show he adopted from the late Wahome Mutahi's Whispers column in the Sunday Nation.
The play will also will be shown in Kisumu, Mombasa and other towns.
Friday, January 20, 2006
Off- Off- OFF-Broadway Play About Sen. Obama
From Nairobi, Kenya's The Nation
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- Happy Holidays!
- "Poppa's got a fat nightcrawler of truth for you."...
- U.S. Army: Trudeau's "Doonesbury" Supports the Tro...
- And that's "Billion"... with a 'B'
- "The Chair Recognizes the Gentleman from Blogginoi...
- "It's not a peacetime force that has been in barra...
- Denny Hastert's No-Holds Barred Rise to Power
- Crime and Punishment
- Prince Pete's Million Dollar "Grassroots" Campaign...
- Is it just me or is it warm in here?
- White House Receieved Detailed, Advance Warning of...
- The Miserable Bush Economy
- Hey Kids, Comics!
- Junky: "Rising Star Obama Echoes Osama"
- Hell is for Children
- Alito's Confirmation: "A serious threat to the nat...
- Well, Dammit!
- Frisbie Playin' in Naperville
- Off- Off- OFF-Broadway Play About Sen. Obama
- Sunday! Sunday! SUNDAY!
- K Street and Kane County
- And I'm sure D.W. Griffith is weeping as well...
- What WILL You Do In the War, Grandpa?
- We've all been there...
- A Million Little Super-Fun-Pak Comix
- "It's like rain on your wedding day..."
- Kelly Hogan on "Chicago Tonight" Tonight
- Attention Hipsters: Silent Auction for Jeff Tweedy...
- Sen. Durbin's Bill Would End Sale of Cell Phone Ca...
- GOP's D.C. Fundraising Syndicate "Rallied Around" ...
- A Message for America
- Are You Ready? -- Are YOU Ready?
- "He may be a son of a bitch, but he's our son of a...
- And That's The Bottom Line -- Kos Stone Cold Said ...
- Merry Chimpsmas!
- I Am Not A Blogger
- 6th Dist. Robo-Calls
- Sen. Durbin Discusses Alito on Air America
- Band Roster for Austin's 20th Anniversary South by...
- Peace Between Catwoman and Wheaton's Favorite Son'...
- Roskam's Fund-Raising Ties to D.C. Lobbyists
- Young yahoos don't read the paper?
- Tribune Exclusive: Barack Obama May Not "Well Spok...
- Sun-Times Freeps Itself on Wheaton College Story
- Hearts and Minds
- The Praise that Pays
- Right Speaker Fade-Out?
- "I pledge to not waste money on CDs that are delib...
- Fine (Half) Line, The Steve Rauschenberger Edition...
- Northfield Labs v. Your First Amendment
- Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom o...
- Recalibrating Your Sensors
- Swamp Life
- “Smoking, eating and Venezuelan diesel are prohibi...
- January: A Month of Great Music for a Great Cause...
- ▼ January (59)
- ► 2005 (555)