Most of the experts who prepared the world's leading medical guide to mental illness had undisclosed financial relationships with drug companies that presented potential conflicts of interest, according to a new report published Thursday in the journal Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics.I don't want to be "glib," but you know that Tom Cruise and his fellow Scientologists are just going to have a field day with this.
The study is the first to document extensive monetary connections between drug companies, psychiatrists and other scientists responsible for the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. ***
Of particular concern, Krimsky suggested, is his study's finding that 100 percent of the experts on DSM-IV panels overseeing mood disorders and schizophrenia/psychotic disorders were financially involved with the drug industry. These are the largest categories of psychiatric drugs in the world -- 2004 sales of $20.3 billion and $14.4 billion respectively. ***
[T]he original 1952 DSM manual contained 107 mental health disorders. By the fourth edition in 1994, the number had more than tripled to 365.
Thursday, April 20, 2006
Does This Mean I May Not Actually Be Nuts?
From your Chicago Tribune:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- May Day! May Day!
- I Told You It Was Good
- PAC Man Fever
- Keep on Rockin' in The Free World Wide Web
- So I Don't Have To
- Today Is A Blogging Sickday
- "One Meeeeellion Dollars!"
- These Items Are Unrelated
- Your Personal Freedom is NOT in Their Corporate In...
- What Will Wheaton College Say About This?
- The Fate of Officials 'A'
- Design Within DuPage
- Does This Mean I May Not Actually Be Nuts?
- UPDATED -- Wheaton College: The Gays Are Coming! ...
- Fun Fact:
- New Look
- Hastert's Vietnam Tour
- Money in the Bank
- "Greater Asia"
- While You Were Out
- Mass Marriage v. Mass. Marriage
- Si, Se Puede?
- The Atlantic: Not IF We're Screwed, But HOW BADLY ...
- Bush Imagines Victory Over Imaginary Proponents of...
- Broken Army
- Unchecked Executive
- Art Crime
- Correction and Suggestion
- Does this make me a bad person?
- I'm Innocent!
- Cartoon Spurs Taliban-Style Prosecution
- "For A Decade of Sin"
- From Your Lips to God's Ears
- Let the Punishment Fit the Criminal
- Sweet: Cegelis endorses Duckworth for 6th CD House...
- Ohhh... Nooooow I get it!
- ▼ April (36)
- ► 2005 (555)