While reading my dead tree edition of your Chicago Tribune, the pages became disordered and these two stories were briefly juxtaposed.
And it got me to thinking.
How is it that America's right-wing religious hardliners find the marriage of two individuals who love each other and want to spend their lives caring for each other illegitimate because the couple looks like this:
But they never suggest that Moonie mass marriages -- even the unions of individuals have never even met each other prior to the wedding -- are illegitimate. Nope a mass marriage of 4,600 couples -- conducted by "humanity's savior, messiah, returning lord and true parent" -- is just hunky dory because the couples look like this:
It's just something I'll keep in mind the next time someone attempts to justify opposition to marriage equality by saying the legal union of two people who know, love and care for each other and have committed their lives to each other is just too drastic a deviation from the American tradition of marriage.
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- May Day! May Day!
- I Told You It Was Good
- PAC Man Fever
- Keep on Rockin' in The Free World Wide Web
- So I Don't Have To
- Today Is A Blogging Sickday
- "One Meeeeellion Dollars!"
- These Items Are Unrelated
- Your Personal Freedom is NOT in Their Corporate In...
- What Will Wheaton College Say About This?
- The Fate of Officials 'A'
- Design Within DuPage
- Does This Mean I May Not Actually Be Nuts?
- UPDATED -- Wheaton College: The Gays Are Coming! ...
- Fun Fact:
- New Look
- Hastert's Vietnam Tour
- Money in the Bank
- "Greater Asia"
- While You Were Out
- Mass Marriage v. Mass. Marriage
- Si, Se Puede?
- The Atlantic: Not IF We're Screwed, But HOW BADLY ...
- Bush Imagines Victory Over Imaginary Proponents of...
- Broken Army
- Unchecked Executive
- Art Crime
- Correction and Suggestion
- Does this make me a bad person?
- I'm Innocent!
- Cartoon Spurs Taliban-Style Prosecution
- "For A Decade of Sin"
- From Your Lips to God's Ears
- Let the Punishment Fit the Criminal
- Sweet: Cegelis endorses Duckworth for 6th CD House...
- Ohhh... Nooooow I get it!
- ▼ April (36)
- ► 2005 (555)