On May 4, 1886, a bomb went off in Chicago that ignited one of the nation's first red scares. The blast killed seven police officers and led to the hanging of four anarchists accused of plotting the attack.You can listen to the full interview, read an excerpt and hear James Green read from his book at NPR here.
Historian James Green's book Death in the Haymarket explores the tensions that led to the explosion and the panic that followed. ***
Q: What's the difference between May Day and Labor Day?
A: In almost every country around the world, May Day is the principal workers' holiday. It is a day of strikes, rallies and demonstrations, often linked to demands for shorter hours. Within the international labor movement, the May Day protest tradition got its start in the United States. Today, however, the United States is the great exception to the May Day tradition. Our end-of-summer Labor Day holiday was developed as an official government alternative to the labor movement's May Day rallies. One central difference: May Day has always been linked to the demand for less work and more pay; Labor Day celebrates the "dignity" of work.
Sunday, April 30, 2006
May Day! May Day!
From NPR's All Things Considered:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- May Day! May Day!
- I Told You It Was Good
- PAC Man Fever
- Keep on Rockin' in The Free World Wide Web
- So I Don't Have To
- Today Is A Blogging Sickday
- "One Meeeeellion Dollars!"
- These Items Are Unrelated
- Your Personal Freedom is NOT in Their Corporate In...
- What Will Wheaton College Say About This?
- The Fate of Officials 'A'
- Design Within DuPage
- Does This Mean I May Not Actually Be Nuts?
- UPDATED -- Wheaton College: The Gays Are Coming! ...
- Fun Fact:
- New Look
- Hastert's Vietnam Tour
- Money in the Bank
- "Greater Asia"
- While You Were Out
- Mass Marriage v. Mass. Marriage
- Si, Se Puede?
- The Atlantic: Not IF We're Screwed, But HOW BADLY ...
- Bush Imagines Victory Over Imaginary Proponents of...
- Broken Army
- Unchecked Executive
- Art Crime
- Correction and Suggestion
- Does this make me a bad person?
- I'm Innocent!
- Cartoon Spurs Taliban-Style Prosecution
- "For A Decade of Sin"
- From Your Lips to God's Ears
- Let the Punishment Fit the Criminal
- Sweet: Cegelis endorses Duckworth for 6th CD House...
- Ohhh... Nooooow I get it!
- ▼ April (36)
- ► 2005 (555)