'Sleaze factor' at play in battle for Rep. Hyde's seatOne of Peter's mentors should take him aside and explain the rule about not throwing stones while living in a glass house.
The hotly contested race in the west suburban 6th Congressional District took a new twist Thursday as the GOP nominee sought to turn the so-called sleaze factor on the Democrat in the race.
State Sen. Peter Roskam, R-Wheaton, charged that Democrat Tammy Duckworth has received massive help from Chicago Democrats who have been caught in a growing series of political scandals.
“You don’t get to be the beneficiary of a machine that catapults you into office and then play Claude Raines,” said Mr. Roskam, referring to a movie figure whose character was “shocked, shocked” to discover gambling occurring in Casablanca.
But Ms. Duckworth’s campaign quickly countercharged by reminding voters that one of Mr. Roskam’s first jobs in politics was working for former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom Delay, who recently had to give up his seat in a widening corruption scandal. ***
Mr. Roskam said he worked for Mr. Delay “for seven months, 27 years ago,” and rejected suggestions that he’s being hypocritical because he was the recent beneficiary of a fund-raiser starring Vice President Dick Cheney, whose office has been embroiled in a scandal over leaking the identity of an operative for the Central Intelligence Agency.
Thursday, May 18, 2006
Creepy Pete Getting Sleazy
Crain’s reports that Peter Roskam (rô-skŭm') is getting sleazy:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- 08AMA DAMMIT!
- Roskam Compares Single Mothers to Criminals
- I Just Like Thinking About a "Bush Post-Presidency...
- Fear the Conservatives
- Don't Forget the Reason for the Season
- At War With The Mystics
- Sun-Times' Robert Novak and Karl Rove
- Rampaging Hastert
- Chicago: Barking Dogs A Menace, Except When They'r...
- "A Public Service Announcement for Those Americans...
- Strippers Converge on Chicago
- Jay Mariotti, This is Why You Will Deserve It When...
- Charity Begins at Home
- "The Plan"
- Gallows Humor
- Local Author's Sophomore Effort
- "What Happened Is True. Now the Motion Picture Th...
- Creepy Pete Getting Sleazy
- Denny A-Tax Working Families
- Actually, It's a Very Prestigious Award.
- Unknown Unknowns
- Two Items From Page 25 of Your Chicago Sun-Times
- Creepy Pete Supports Spying on 6th District Reside...
- The NSA Is Building a Database of Every Phone Call...
- "Forbid it, Almighty God!"
- Yes, That's A Two.
- Are We Doomed?
- Kids These Days...
- an·gry -- adj., Feeling or showing anger; incensed...
- Who's Paying for the GOP Tax Cuts for the Mega-Ric...
- Don't Believe The Hype
- Denny's Priorities: Rich Men and Wall Street Firs...
- XVP is the Job for Me!
- Rahm: No Regrets on IL-6 Primary
- Today is the BIG DAY!
- No Recounts for DuPage County
- Obama, America Step Up Against Genocide
- "Dying is Easy -- Comedy is Hard."
- Well, I guess that explains some things...
- I don't think people who make fun of me are funny ...
- The Immigration Question
- "Kill 'Em All -- Let God Sort 'Em Out"
- They'd never do that... Right?
- "And all the sinners -- saints."
- "Our immigration laws are absurd."
- "My fellow Americans: Major combat operations in I...
- ▼ May (50)
- ► 2005 (555)