For two days the battle has raged on the Web: Did Stephen Colbert go too far in lampooning President Bush, to his face, at the White House Correspondents Dinner on Saturday night? Is that why his barbs did not generate more laughter around the room of 2700 journalists, celebrities and other guests? Or was it because he suggested the press was spineless in failing to confront the president on Iraq? Or was Colbert just not that funny?Bush's tasteless WMD jokes may have been at the expense of the military men and women who were killed and wounded in Iraq, but at least he didn't show "bad manners."
In any case, the event has inspired debate on hundreds of political and media blogs, the posting of the video on dozens of sites, and massive traffic to E&P, where the first in-depth account of Colbert’s performance was posted Saturday night.
You’d think from all the criticism that the guy had based his routine on joking about launching a war and not finding the WMDs that inspired it. Oh, right, that was President Bush, two years ago.
Wednesday, May 03, 2006
"Dying is Easy -- Comedy is Hard."
From Greg Mitchell, editor of Editor & Publisher:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- 08AMA DAMMIT!
- Roskam Compares Single Mothers to Criminals
- I Just Like Thinking About a "Bush Post-Presidency...
- Fear the Conservatives
- Don't Forget the Reason for the Season
- At War With The Mystics
- Sun-Times' Robert Novak and Karl Rove
- Rampaging Hastert
- Chicago: Barking Dogs A Menace, Except When They'r...
- "A Public Service Announcement for Those Americans...
- Strippers Converge on Chicago
- Jay Mariotti, This is Why You Will Deserve It When...
- Charity Begins at Home
- "The Plan"
- Gallows Humor
- Local Author's Sophomore Effort
- "What Happened Is True. Now the Motion Picture Th...
- Creepy Pete Getting Sleazy
- Denny A-Tax Working Families
- Actually, It's a Very Prestigious Award.
- Unknown Unknowns
- Two Items From Page 25 of Your Chicago Sun-Times
- Creepy Pete Supports Spying on 6th District Reside...
- The NSA Is Building a Database of Every Phone Call...
- "Forbid it, Almighty God!"
- Yes, That's A Two.
- Are We Doomed?
- Kids These Days...
- an·gry -- adj., Feeling or showing anger; incensed...
- Who's Paying for the GOP Tax Cuts for the Mega-Ric...
- Don't Believe The Hype
- Denny's Priorities: Rich Men and Wall Street Firs...
- XVP is the Job for Me!
- Rahm: No Regrets on IL-6 Primary
- Today is the BIG DAY!
- No Recounts for DuPage County
- Obama, America Step Up Against Genocide
- "Dying is Easy -- Comedy is Hard."
- Well, I guess that explains some things...
- I don't think people who make fun of me are funny ...
- The Immigration Question
- "Kill 'Em All -- Let God Sort 'Em Out"
- They'd never do that... Right?
- "And all the sinners -- saints."
- "Our immigration laws are absurd."
- "My fellow Americans: Major combat operations in I...
- ▼ May (50)
- ► 2005 (555)