In yesterday’s column in your Chicago Sun-Times, Lynn Sweet drops a bombshell: In the last campaign reporting cycle, 6th District Democratic congressional candidate Christine Cegelis did not suddenly become a multi-millionaire, nor did she become the darling of the party's Washington D.C. power-brokers.
God bless Lynn Sweet for spelling Ms. Cegelis’ name right, but there is no news here.
Christine Cegelis’ campaign has been all grassroots from the very beginning. She’s not independently wealthy and it’s no secret that her campaign volunteers don’t have gold-plated Rolodexes that can be tapped for $2000 contributions.
And it is not news that Christine Cegelis is not the party leaders’ vision of an ideal candidate, i.e. self-funded and more-of-the-same. Although Christine Cegelis has mainstream Democratic values and ideals, she is independent of any party bosses. She answers only to her own conscience and her grassroots supporters. Sure, the party leadership would prefer to tap a candidate who knows who’s boss and that they can count on to toe the line. But I prefer a candidate who knows the voters of the 6th District are the boss and won’t be afraid to step out of line to act in their interests.
But it just makes sense that Lynn Sweet’s story focused solely on the funding aspect of the Christine Cegelis campaign. Ms. Sweet is based in Washington D.C., where the focus is always, always, always on the money. Out in the district, folks are less obsessed with the pursuit of large donors than they are excited by Christine Cegelis’ ideas and values, her grassroots network of volunteers and building on her unprecedented showing versus Henry Hyde in the last election.
No Christine Cegelis’ candidacy is not perfect.
But I have never seen a perfect candidate yet. No, not even Barack Obama.
So while some of the commentators at the Capital Fax Blog may want Christine to step aside and make way for their imagined perfect candidate – a mythical 6th District messiah who’s wealth is unrivaled and who’s identity is known only to Rahm – I will continue to bang the drum for a real candidate – the candidate who drove Henry Hyde into retirement:
Christine Cegelis for Congress.
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- Trib's Rosenthal Calls Out S-T's Novak
- What's an "Alito"?
- "Aw, that's just drunk talk...
- Parade and Rally for the World Series Champion Whi...
- Fitzgerald: Novak Exposed A Covert Agent
- "Target that Closet... And Fire!"
- Join the Celebration
- Denny's Blog Slam
- Miers Out
- Don't Go All Crazee Now
- How to Edit a Wing-Nut (If You Must): The Word Acc...
- “The first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers...
- Soft on (Republican) Crime
- Clearing the Air
- Why 2K?
- "A Genuine American Hero"
- This is for real, you've got to want it...
- Achtung Baby.
- Liz Phair at the World Series
- Cegelis Reporting for Bootcamp
- "A different kind of positive."
- "She once told me that the president was the most ...
- The Wheels of Justice Grind Slowly...
- Sneed: Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dea...
- Correspondent's Course
- Did He Say "Cabal"?
- Kids, Don't Look at the Dirty, Dirty Cartoons
- All About the Benjamins
- CHRISTINE CEGELIS ON "PUBLIC AFFAIRS CINEMA"
- "And thank you for the Bottle Rockets. Amen."
- IS THIS THE BEST THE RIGHT CAN DO?
- The Ubersexual is the meaning of the earth. Let yo...
- IT WASN'T STAGED!
- RUBBING IT IN
- BERKOWITZ: CEGELIS ANSWERS THE TOUGH QUESTIONS
- BLAGORGEOUS IS ON THE AIR, AMERICA
- OBAMA TOWN HALL MEETINGS DOWNSTATE -- WAY DOWNSTAT...
- ONLY TWO PERCENT
- And I looked, and behold a pale horse:
- PUPPY LOVE
- DuPAGE SOX FANS REPRESENT
- "WORKS EVERY TIME"
- KEITH OLBERMANN: THE NEXUS OF POLITICS AND TERROR
- GOOD CUB, BAD CUB
- THE [ALL] KIDS [PLAN] ARE ALRIGHT
- LOCKING 'EM UP AND THROWING AWAY THE KID.
- WILCO: A BENEFIT FOR HURRICANE RELIEF
- "Iron-tight integrity and a tireless work ethic"
- "I am not there. I do not sleep."
- CARTOONIST CHRONICLES CULTURE OF CORRUPTION AND CR...
- Rep. DeLay, Lord Acton... Lord Acton, Rep. DeLay....
- a·kin - Having a similar quality or character; ana...
- THE MADNESS OF KING GEORGE
- SENATE: IT'S OVER GEORGE.
- PETER O'MALLEY IS LEAVING THE 6th DIST. RACE
- BLUE LEADER: STAY ON TARGET!
- RAUSCHENBERGER: HOLDING BACK THE JUNGLE
- NO JUDGE OF CHARACTER
- AREN'T THE MEDIOCRE ENTITLED TO A LITTLE REPRESENT...
- ROSKAM MENTOR CHARGED WITH FELONY MONEY LAUNDERING...
- RAHM: THERE IS A GOP CULTURE OF CORRUPTION AND CRO...
- IT'S PRONOUNCED 'EV-UH-NEAR'
- FARM AID REVISITED
- "We hope for the best for Neil and his family."
- ▼ October (65)