Authorities are urging White Sox fans to stay home and watch tonight's game on television with friends and families -- and not to come down to U.S. Cellular Field to celebrate if the team clinches the World Series tonight in Houston.
"There's no sanctioned celebration at the Cell, and we're asking people not to come down there," Chicago police Supt. Phil Cline said. ***
Police have said they expected most of the revelry near the ballpark, the Far South Side nightlife corridor on South Western Avenue and the nightclub district centered on Rush and Division Streets on the Near North Side.
"We've gone around to all the bars in those neighborhoods and asked them not to serve alcohol in bottles or cans, to use paper or plastic cups, and to watch their occupancy levels and not exceed the safe occupancy levels for their establishments," Cline said.
Ald. James Balcer, whose 11th Ward is home to the White Sox, urged fans to "celebrate safe. Enjoy the game at home with families and friends."
"We are discouraging anyone from coming down to U.S. Cellular Field this evening if the Sox clinch," Balcer said. "Wait for the city to announce the citywide celebration."
"This is our neighborhood," the alderman continued. "If you are here celebrating at a local establishment, treat the area as you would treat your own neighborhood…with respect."
Rowdiness, disorderly conduct and civil disobedience, he added, "will not be tolerated."
Police are beefing up their presence in three key areas: The Deering District, where the Cell is located; the Morgan Park District, which covers the Beverly neighborhood; and the East Chicago District, which includes North Rush Street, police spokesman Patrick Camden said.
Wednesday, October 26, 2005
Don't Go All Crazee Now
From your Chicago Tribune:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- Trib's Rosenthal Calls Out S-T's Novak
- What's an "Alito"?
- "Aw, that's just drunk talk...
- Parade and Rally for the World Series Champion Whi...
- Fitzgerald: Novak Exposed A Covert Agent
- "Target that Closet... And Fire!"
- Join the Celebration
- Denny's Blog Slam
- Miers Out
- Don't Go All Crazee Now
- How to Edit a Wing-Nut (If You Must): The Word Acc...
- “The first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers...
- Soft on (Republican) Crime
- Clearing the Air
- Why 2K?
- "A Genuine American Hero"
- This is for real, you've got to want it...
- Achtung Baby.
- Liz Phair at the World Series
- Cegelis Reporting for Bootcamp
- "A different kind of positive."
- "She once told me that the president was the most ...
- The Wheels of Justice Grind Slowly...
- Sneed: Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dea...
- Correspondent's Course
- Did He Say "Cabal"?
- Kids, Don't Look at the Dirty, Dirty Cartoons
- All About the Benjamins
- CHRISTINE CEGELIS ON "PUBLIC AFFAIRS CINEMA"
- "And thank you for the Bottle Rockets. Amen."
- IS THIS THE BEST THE RIGHT CAN DO?
- The Ubersexual is the meaning of the earth. Let yo...
- IT WASN'T STAGED!
- RUBBING IT IN
- BERKOWITZ: CEGELIS ANSWERS THE TOUGH QUESTIONS
- BLAGORGEOUS IS ON THE AIR, AMERICA
- OBAMA TOWN HALL MEETINGS DOWNSTATE -- WAY DOWNSTAT...
- ONLY TWO PERCENT
- And I looked, and behold a pale horse:
- PUPPY LOVE
- DuPAGE SOX FANS REPRESENT
- "WORKS EVERY TIME"
- KEITH OLBERMANN: THE NEXUS OF POLITICS AND TERROR
- GOOD CUB, BAD CUB
- THE [ALL] KIDS [PLAN] ARE ALRIGHT
- LOCKING 'EM UP AND THROWING AWAY THE KID.
- WILCO: A BENEFIT FOR HURRICANE RELIEF
- "Iron-tight integrity and a tireless work ethic"
- "I am not there. I do not sleep."
- CARTOONIST CHRONICLES CULTURE OF CORRUPTION AND CR...
- Rep. DeLay, Lord Acton... Lord Acton, Rep. DeLay....
- a·kin - Having a similar quality or character; ana...
- THE MADNESS OF KING GEORGE
- SENATE: IT'S OVER GEORGE.
- PETER O'MALLEY IS LEAVING THE 6th DIST. RACE
- BLUE LEADER: STAY ON TARGET!
- RAUSCHENBERGER: HOLDING BACK THE JUNGLE
- NO JUDGE OF CHARACTER
- AREN'T THE MEDIOCRE ENTITLED TO A LITTLE REPRESENT...
- ROSKAM MENTOR CHARGED WITH FELONY MONEY LAUNDERING...
- RAHM: THERE IS A GOP CULTURE OF CORRUPTION AND CRO...
- IT'S PRONOUNCED 'EV-UH-NEAR'
- FARM AID REVISITED
- "We hope for the best for Neil and his family."
- ▼ October (65)