Gov. Rod Blagojevich lashed out at the Springfield press corps Friday, repeatedly calling them "sharks" while comparing himself to Abraham Lincoln.If you're in Springfield for the Fair, visit the Abraham Lincoln Museum -- and be sure to check out the exhibit recounting the time Honest Abe hid behind a crying baby.
The Chicago Democrat, making a rare appearance in the capital city to open the Illinois State Fair, defended his administration's handling of alleged corruption in state hiring.
But he would not take personal responsibility for the woes that have tainted his first term in office, instead blaming disgruntled state workers and the media for much of the problems he faces. ***
Rather, he said he's left the job of policing hiring to his inspector general's office and said that he would not take credit or blame for the hiring problems.
"Look, I'm modest. You want me to pat myself on the back? I'm not going to do that," he said.
Later, however, the governor compared himself to Lincoln during the Civil War, saying there have been "ups and downs" as he's attempted to reverse 26 years of Republican dominance in the governor's office.
"Not every military initiative from the Union Army was successful. It took awhile to kind of get that together and get it right. But the whole purpose of what they were trying to do was absolutely right, keeping the country together and then emancipating the slaves and providing freedom to millions and millions of people," Blagojevich said.
Saturday, August 12, 2006
Blago Campaign Jumps the Shark
From the Herald & Review:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- Great Country Performers of Illinois
- Keith Olbermann on Rumsfeld, Fascism and America
- "Uhh... It's About... A Guy... Umm... A Stranger.....
- It's A Small World After All.
- Too Soon... or Too Late?
- Long Live the King!
- All He Can Do Is All He Can Do
- The Sun-Times Provides the Dots, But You'll Have T...
- "So-Called 'Austin Mayor': The Smartest Kid on Ear...
- The Family Business
- Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire 1963 This just might be...
- Perhaps Surrender Shouldn't Be Our First Move In T...
- NRCC: Taking The Low Road, or "Xenophobia v. The W...
- Attn: Comics Dorks
- Rahm's "Solid and Sensible" Plan
- NRCC's Requiem for the Hyper-Rich
- Full Flyer in its Full-Color Glory
- Separated at Smirk
- You Shouldda Been There
- "They should both be changed regularly, and for th...
- We're Living in the Future
- Good Rockin' Tonight
- Big Brother Roeser is Watching You
- Message Discipline
- Rich Miller: "John Laesch is a Jerk"
- Blago Campaign Jumps the Shark
- "Bump Keying" And this is why I always have a buck...
- "Then As Farce"
- 9.9 Million Reasons To Support a Living Wage
- Obama Will Support Lamont
- What Are You Doing With YOUR Freedom?
- Revealed: RNC Vision of Female 6th District Voters...
- "A Pittance"
- Love is Dead
- I'm No Bravehart
- ▼ August (36)
- ► 2005 (555)