Tuesday, August 29, 2006

"Uhh... It's About... A Guy... Umm... A Stranger... "

Perhaps, if I had never attended seventh grade and had never watched 12-year old classmates attempt to b.s. their way though oral reports on books that they hadn't read, then maybe I might have believed it when Mr. Bush attempted to convince Brian Williams that he actually read Albert Camus' The Stranger:
WILLIAMS: We always talk about what you're reading. As you know, there was a report that you just read the works of a French philosopher. (Bush laughs)

BUSH: The Stranger.

WILLIAMS: Tell us the back story of Camus.

BUSH: The back story of the the book?

WILLIAMS: What led you to...

BUSH: I was in Crawford and I said I was looking for a book to read and Laura said you oughtta try Camus, I also read three Shakespeares.

WILLIAMS: This is a change...

BUSH: Not really. Wait a minute.

WILLIAMS: A few months ago you were reading the life story of Joe DiMaggio by Richard Ben Cramer.

BUSH: Which was a good book.

WILLIAMS: You've been on a Teddy Roosevelt reading kick.

BUSH: Well, I'm reading about the battle of New Orleans right now. I’ve got an eclectic reading list.

WILLIAMS: And now Camus?

BUSH: Well, that was a couple of books ago. Let me look. The key for me is to keep expectations low.
If only my buddies had thought to distract Mrs. Winter with "I also read three Shakespeares."

UPDATE
Q: How can you tell when the president is lying about reading a book?



A: His lips are moving.

3 comments:

pathickey said...

" Let's see if I can bring up somma whateyered - Ok - here goes 'First came I, 'N them came You, 'N then Camus!' Howzat, Brian?"

Anonymous said...

Man, where was W while I was slacking my way through major senioritis in AP English....

"I read 3 Shakespeares."

Classic!

Were those three the one about the guy, the other one about a guy but with a gal, and then the one about a king... or a prince. It's hard to remember when you've got so much time to read such an expansive and eclectic reading list instead of leading the free world.

Bridget said...

This was unbelievably horrifying. Just unbelievable.

Followers

Blog Archive