There may be no better way to explain the desperation on the city's ravaged streets than this: In the past few days, two police officers took their own lives and dozens have turned in their badges.Let us all hope that, when the immediate crisis in New Orleans is over, these brave men and women will get the appreciation -- and help -- they deserve.
New Orleans Deputy Police Chief W.J. Riley on Sunday identified two officers who committed suicide as Sgt. Paul Accardo, the department's spokesman, and Patrolman Lawrence Celestine. He called both "outstanding cops" and friends.
"Both of them," he said, shaking his head slowly. "Used their own guns."
Several dozen of the city's 1,600 police officers have failed to report for duty, and some have turned in their badges.
Published reports put the number as high as 200, but Riley declined to comment on those figures, saying more than 100 officers may have been trapped in their own homes or unable to reach command centers.
"We just don't know," he said, standing outside a downtown command center set up in the driveway of Harrah's casino. ***
"The most stressing part is seeing the citizens we serve every day being treated like refugees," Riley said. "There were cops walking through the crowd at the convention center and people were coming up to beg for food. Not being able to help is a difficult thing. People were calling our names because we know them and to not be able to help, man, that's stressful."
Monday, September 05, 2005
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- YOUR DONATION IN THIS QUARTER WILL MAKE A DIFFEREN...
- HAS THE BUBBLE BURST?
- REPUBLICAN CULTURE OF CORRUPTION: DAY 2
- DARK CARNIVAL
- MAKING AN "ASS" OUT OF "U" AND "ME"
- RAHM: BENNETT'S COMMENTS "REFLECT A SPIRIT OF HATE...
- COACH HASTERT FUMBLES THE BALL, DEMANDS SPORTS MET...
- PAST IS PROLOGUE
- DuPAGE SURPLUS
- PARDON ME?
- THE REPUBLICAN CULTURE OF CRONYISM AND CORRUPTION
- 2008 Dammit!
- DENNY MOVES THE DECK CHAIRS AROUND
- PETER ROSKAM'S MENTOR INDICTED
- DALEY: PEDESTRIANS MUST STOP DOING WHAT I MADE TH...
- "THE METH-DRIVEN LIFE"
- BROWNIE, YOU'RE *STILL* DOING A HECK OF A JOB?!?
- "Every little helps"
- A.P. EXPOSES BUSH'S BEDFELLOWS
- DRINK, DRANK, DRUNK
- THE TIGHT-LIPPED MR. NOVAK?
- VOTE CEGELIS -- TODAY!
- "Those esquivalient little wretches."
- CHICAGO SKY
- 19SEP05: I.T.L.A.P.D.
- OBAMA: GULF RECOVERY NEEDS "SOME ADULT SUPERVISIO...
- *FREE* FARM AID WEBCAST *LIVE*
- DON'T SKIP THE "NEWS FOR GIRLS" SECTION OF THE TRI...
- "Drowing in Incompetence in New Orleans"
- SYNERGY GONE GOOD
- LIBERAL CRAP KURT VONNEGUT NEVER WANTS TO HEAR AGA...
- CAN THESE POSSIBLY BE REAL?
- "I've never heard a single word of complaint."
- "They were abandoned long ago"
- BUY AMERICAN!
- DUCKING, DODGING AND WEAVING
- CONFESSION IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL
- chicagocrime.org Wins $10,000 Batten Award
- EXERCISING POOR JUDGMENT
- OBAMA: BUSH NEEDS TO WAKE UP
- YOU AND 39,999 OF YOUR FRIENDS
- THEY FEED ON THE DEAD
- Powell: "A lot of failures at a lot of levels"
- REHNQUIST: HIGH COURT JUSTICE
- LOOKING TO THE FUTURE
- A HECK OF A STATEMENT, BROWNIE!
- LAURA BUSH: HE CARES... NO, REALLY... NO, I'M SERI...
- NEW ORLEANS FLOOD IN CHICAGO
- DeLAY DeLUDED
- REPUBLICAN PRIORITIES
- PROFITEERS AND GOUGERS: GET YOUR EXX ON!
- GET YOUR BLAME ON!
- CINDY SHEEHAN IN DuPAGE COUNTY
- OBAMA: "STILL UNSATISFIED"
- "Was there bureaucratic bungling? The short answer...
- REPUBLICAN HOUSE WON'T BUDGE ON LOUISIANA COSTAL P...
- jux·ta·pose: To place side by side, especially for...
- IT'S ELEMENTARY
- "As tragic as it is for New Orleans, it is a boon ...
- BLACK CNN
- “How come CNN isn’t showing footage of how dry Mic...
- "If you can keep your head when all about you are ...
- "Ooh, that's one ugly snout wound."
- LOMBARD CUTS OFF NOSE TO SPITE FACE
- NO WONDER BUSH DIDN'T ACT SOONER
- WHAT WOULD COWBOY JESUS DO?
- "The smartest man in pop music"
- OFFICERS DOWN
- "Disgraceful response"
- DENNY RETIREMENT DELAYED BY CLINTON?
- CLASS AND RACE
- LET 'EM ROLL
- AWAITING ORDERS
- COMMUNICATION FOR KATRINA VICTIMS
- CNN: BUT IN FACT, CHERTOFF IS A LIAR.
- MAKE JABBOR GIBSON FEMA DIRECTOR
- DOG AND PONY SHOW
- IN WORD:
- DENNIS HASTERT'S TO-DO LIST
- GOP FINALLY IDENTIFIES CAUSE OF KATRINA SUFFERING
- IF HISTORY IS OUR GUIDE...
- THE CHICAGO CONNECTION
- WHITE HOUSE RHETORIC V. AMERICAN REALITY
- CHICAGO'S KANYE WEST CALLS IT LIKE HE SEES IT
- "DIVERGING VIEWS" OR DISINFORMATION?
- MORE GOP CRITICISM OF BUSH RESPONSE
- CHICAGO'S HURRICANE HELP SPURNED
- THAT'S A GOOD QUESTION
- "No food... no water... 90 degree heat"
- BUSH DISASTER PLAN REVEALED
- STEINBERG V. KASS
- KASS: NOW IS NOT THE TIME FOR FACING REALITY
- LIKE A CHICKEN WITH ITS HEAD CUT OFF
- LEVEES UNDERCUT BY BUSH ADMINISTRATION
- SNEED v. KASS
- PAY AT PUMP
- ▼ September (96)