and on and on and on and on...
The Iraqi insurgency is in its last throes. The economy is booming. Anybody who leaks a CIA agent's identity will be fired. Add another piece of White House rhetoric that doesn't match the public's view of reality: Help is on the way, Gulf Coast.
As New Orleans descended into anarchy, top Bush administration officials congratulated each other for jobs well done and spoke of water, food and troops pouring into the ravaged city. Television pictures told a different story.
"What it reminded me of the other day is 'Baghdad Bob' saying there are no Americans at the airport," said Rich Galen, a Republican consultant in Washington. He was referring to Saddam Hussein's reality-challenged minister of information who denied the existence of U.S. troops in the Iraqi capital.
To some critics, President Bush seemed to deny the existence of problems with hurricane relief this week. He waited until Friday to acknowledged that "the results are not acceptable," and even then the president parsed his words. ***
One reason the public relations effort backfired on Bush is that Americans have seen it before.
On Iraq alone, the rhetoric has repeatedly fallen far short of reality. Saddam had no weapons of mass destruction. The mission wasn't accomplished in May 2003. Most allies avoided the hard work of his "coalition of the willing." And dozens of U.S. soldiers have died since Vice President Dick Cheney declared that insurgents were in their "last throes."
Bush often touts the health of the U.S. economy, which is fair game because many indicators point in that direction. But the public doesn't share his rosy view. The global economy had most Americans worried about job and pension security even before rising gas added to their anxieties.
Bush's spokesman said anybody involved in leaking the identity of a CIA agent would be fired, but no action has been taken against officials accused of doing so.
The president himself promised to fully pay for his school reform plan and strip pork-barrel spending from a major highway bill. The school money fell short. The pork thrived.
The list goes on.
Friday, September 02, 2005
WHITE HOUSE RHETORIC V. AMERICAN REALITY
The AP takes a look at the Bush administration's male bovine fecal matter:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- YOUR DONATION IN THIS QUARTER WILL MAKE A DIFFEREN...
- HAS THE BUBBLE BURST?
- REPUBLICAN CULTURE OF CORRUPTION: DAY 2
- DARK CARNIVAL
- MAKING AN "ASS" OUT OF "U" AND "ME"
- RAHM: BENNETT'S COMMENTS "REFLECT A SPIRIT OF HATE...
- COACH HASTERT FUMBLES THE BALL, DEMANDS SPORTS MET...
- PAST IS PROLOGUE
- DuPAGE SURPLUS
- PARDON ME?
- THE REPUBLICAN CULTURE OF CRONYISM AND CORRUPTION
- 2008 Dammit!
- DENNY MOVES THE DECK CHAIRS AROUND
- PETER ROSKAM'S MENTOR INDICTED
- DALEY: PEDESTRIANS MUST STOP DOING WHAT I MADE TH...
- "THE METH-DRIVEN LIFE"
- BROWNIE, YOU'RE *STILL* DOING A HECK OF A JOB?!?
- "Every little helps"
- A.P. EXPOSES BUSH'S BEDFELLOWS
- DRINK, DRANK, DRUNK
- THE TIGHT-LIPPED MR. NOVAK?
- VOTE CEGELIS -- TODAY!
- "Those esquivalient little wretches."
- CHICAGO SKY
- 19SEP05: I.T.L.A.P.D.
- OBAMA: GULF RECOVERY NEEDS "SOME ADULT SUPERVISIO...
- *FREE* FARM AID WEBCAST *LIVE*
- DON'T SKIP THE "NEWS FOR GIRLS" SECTION OF THE TRI...
- "Drowing in Incompetence in New Orleans"
- SYNERGY GONE GOOD
- LIBERAL CRAP KURT VONNEGUT NEVER WANTS TO HEAR AGA...
- CAN THESE POSSIBLY BE REAL?
- "I've never heard a single word of complaint."
- "They were abandoned long ago"
- BUY AMERICAN!
- DUCKING, DODGING AND WEAVING
- CONFESSION IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL
- chicagocrime.org Wins $10,000 Batten Award
- EXERCISING POOR JUDGMENT
- OBAMA: BUSH NEEDS TO WAKE UP
- YOU AND 39,999 OF YOUR FRIENDS
- THEY FEED ON THE DEAD
- Powell: "A lot of failures at a lot of levels"
- REHNQUIST: HIGH COURT JUSTICE
- LOOKING TO THE FUTURE
- A HECK OF A STATEMENT, BROWNIE!
- LAURA BUSH: HE CARES... NO, REALLY... NO, I'M SERI...
- NEW ORLEANS FLOOD IN CHICAGO
- DeLAY DeLUDED
- REPUBLICAN PRIORITIES
- PROFITEERS AND GOUGERS: GET YOUR EXX ON!
- GET YOUR BLAME ON!
- CINDY SHEEHAN IN DuPAGE COUNTY
- OBAMA: "STILL UNSATISFIED"
- "Was there bureaucratic bungling? The short answer...
- REPUBLICAN HOUSE WON'T BUDGE ON LOUISIANA COSTAL P...
- jux·ta·pose: To place side by side, especially for...
- IT'S ELEMENTARY
- "As tragic as it is for New Orleans, it is a boon ...
- BLACK CNN
- “How come CNN isn’t showing footage of how dry Mic...
- "If you can keep your head when all about you are ...
- "Ooh, that's one ugly snout wound."
- LOMBARD CUTS OFF NOSE TO SPITE FACE
- NO WONDER BUSH DIDN'T ACT SOONER
- WHAT WOULD COWBOY JESUS DO?
- "The smartest man in pop music"
- OFFICERS DOWN
- "Disgraceful response"
- DENNY RETIREMENT DELAYED BY CLINTON?
- CLASS AND RACE
- LET 'EM ROLL
- AWAITING ORDERS
- COMMUNICATION FOR KATRINA VICTIMS
- CNN: BUT IN FACT, CHERTOFF IS A LIAR.
- MAKE JABBOR GIBSON FEMA DIRECTOR
- DOG AND PONY SHOW
- IN WORD:
- DENNIS HASTERT'S TO-DO LIST
- GOP FINALLY IDENTIFIES CAUSE OF KATRINA SUFFERING
- IF HISTORY IS OUR GUIDE...
- THE CHICAGO CONNECTION
- WHITE HOUSE RHETORIC V. AMERICAN REALITY
- CHICAGO'S KANYE WEST CALLS IT LIKE HE SEES IT
- "DIVERGING VIEWS" OR DISINFORMATION?
- MORE GOP CRITICISM OF BUSH RESPONSE
- CHICAGO'S HURRICANE HELP SPURNED
- THAT'S A GOOD QUESTION
- "No food... no water... 90 degree heat"
- BUSH DISASTER PLAN REVEALED
- STEINBERG V. KASS
- KASS: NOW IS NOT THE TIME FOR FACING REALITY
- LIKE A CHICKEN WITH ITS HEAD CUT OFF
- LEVEES UNDERCUT BY BUSH ADMINISTRATION
- SNEED v. KASS
- PAY AT PUMP
- ▼ September (96)