A week after being hailed as "the smartest man in pop music" on the cover of Time magazine, and four days after the release of his second album "Late Registration," which is expected to debut at No. 1 on the Billboard albums chart tomorrow with sales of nearly a million copies, West appeared beside comedian Mike Myers as one of several entertainers who urged Americans to donate to relief efforts during a telethon broadcast live on NBC and its affiliated networks Friday night.West's new album is available here.
West did not perform, nor did he deliver the statement that had been written for him, which visibly shocked Myers. Instead, in a nervous and emotional voice, the 28-year-old rapper first criticized the media's portrayal of African Americans in the devastated city of New Orleans and the warnings issued by President Bush and Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco that looters would be shot on sight.
"I hate the way they portray us in the media," West said. "If you see a black family, it says they're looting. See a white family, it says they're looking for food. ... They've given them permission to go down and shoot us." ***
West emerged as its new political firebrand, with a larger audience and more access to the mainstream than any rapper since Public Enemy's Chuck D, who declared in the late '80s that rap music "is the black CNN."
Like Chuck D, West grew up in a middle-class family that did not turn its back on the harsh realities of life in the ghetto but viewed political action and education as the paths to reform. His mother, Donda West, recently retired as chairwoman of the English Department at Chicago State University. His father, Ray West, is a former Black Panther active in the South Shore neighborhood, now serving as a Christian marriage counselor.
Unlike Public Enemy, which was famously criticized for embracing some of the anti-Semitic views of the Nation of Islam, West's beliefs reflect those of millions of mainstream Americans strong on family values, the merits of hard work and Christian teachings. Indeed, the message of "Jesus Walks," the phenomenal hit from his 2004 album "The College Dropout," is that anything is possible with the help of Christ, a theme that allies him with many of Bush's core supporters.
But Friday, West's statements were much closer to those being made by critics of the Bush administration from across the racial and political spectra. And while he is being criticized by many on the right -- and will no doubt pay a price with some lost album sales and less radio play in more conservative markets -- he did Americans a service by putting the issue on the table for national debate.
Monday, September 05, 2005
"The smartest man in pop music"
Jim DeRogatis puts the latest outburst of Chicago's Kanye West -- criticizing President Bush on national TV during telethon -- into context in your Chicago Sun-Times:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- YOUR DONATION IN THIS QUARTER WILL MAKE A DIFFEREN...
- HAS THE BUBBLE BURST?
- REPUBLICAN CULTURE OF CORRUPTION: DAY 2
- DARK CARNIVAL
- MAKING AN "ASS" OUT OF "U" AND "ME"
- RAHM: BENNETT'S COMMENTS "REFLECT A SPIRIT OF HATE...
- COACH HASTERT FUMBLES THE BALL, DEMANDS SPORTS MET...
- PAST IS PROLOGUE
- DuPAGE SURPLUS
- PARDON ME?
- THE REPUBLICAN CULTURE OF CRONYISM AND CORRUPTION
- 2008 Dammit!
- DENNY MOVES THE DECK CHAIRS AROUND
- PETER ROSKAM'S MENTOR INDICTED
- DALEY: PEDESTRIANS MUST STOP DOING WHAT I MADE TH...
- "THE METH-DRIVEN LIFE"
- BROWNIE, YOU'RE *STILL* DOING A HECK OF A JOB?!?
- "Every little helps"
- A.P. EXPOSES BUSH'S BEDFELLOWS
- DRINK, DRANK, DRUNK
- THE TIGHT-LIPPED MR. NOVAK?
- VOTE CEGELIS -- TODAY!
- "Those esquivalient little wretches."
- CHICAGO SKY
- 19SEP05: I.T.L.A.P.D.
- OBAMA: GULF RECOVERY NEEDS "SOME ADULT SUPERVISIO...
- *FREE* FARM AID WEBCAST *LIVE*
- DON'T SKIP THE "NEWS FOR GIRLS" SECTION OF THE TRI...
- "Drowing in Incompetence in New Orleans"
- SYNERGY GONE GOOD
- LIBERAL CRAP KURT VONNEGUT NEVER WANTS TO HEAR AGA...
- CAN THESE POSSIBLY BE REAL?
- "I've never heard a single word of complaint."
- "They were abandoned long ago"
- BUY AMERICAN!
- DUCKING, DODGING AND WEAVING
- CONFESSION IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL
- chicagocrime.org Wins $10,000 Batten Award
- EXERCISING POOR JUDGMENT
- OBAMA: BUSH NEEDS TO WAKE UP
- YOU AND 39,999 OF YOUR FRIENDS
- THEY FEED ON THE DEAD
- Powell: "A lot of failures at a lot of levels"
- REHNQUIST: HIGH COURT JUSTICE
- LOOKING TO THE FUTURE
- A HECK OF A STATEMENT, BROWNIE!
- LAURA BUSH: HE CARES... NO, REALLY... NO, I'M SERI...
- NEW ORLEANS FLOOD IN CHICAGO
- DeLAY DeLUDED
- REPUBLICAN PRIORITIES
- PROFITEERS AND GOUGERS: GET YOUR EXX ON!
- GET YOUR BLAME ON!
- CINDY SHEEHAN IN DuPAGE COUNTY
- OBAMA: "STILL UNSATISFIED"
- "Was there bureaucratic bungling? The short answer...
- REPUBLICAN HOUSE WON'T BUDGE ON LOUISIANA COSTAL P...
- jux·ta·pose: To place side by side, especially for...
- IT'S ELEMENTARY
- "As tragic as it is for New Orleans, it is a boon ...
- BLACK CNN
- “How come CNN isn’t showing footage of how dry Mic...
- "If you can keep your head when all about you are ...
- "Ooh, that's one ugly snout wound."
- LOMBARD CUTS OFF NOSE TO SPITE FACE
- NO WONDER BUSH DIDN'T ACT SOONER
- WHAT WOULD COWBOY JESUS DO?
- "The smartest man in pop music"
- OFFICERS DOWN
- "Disgraceful response"
- DENNY RETIREMENT DELAYED BY CLINTON?
- CLASS AND RACE
- LET 'EM ROLL
- AWAITING ORDERS
- COMMUNICATION FOR KATRINA VICTIMS
- CNN: BUT IN FACT, CHERTOFF IS A LIAR.
- MAKE JABBOR GIBSON FEMA DIRECTOR
- DOG AND PONY SHOW
- IN WORD:
- DENNIS HASTERT'S TO-DO LIST
- GOP FINALLY IDENTIFIES CAUSE OF KATRINA SUFFERING
- IF HISTORY IS OUR GUIDE...
- THE CHICAGO CONNECTION
- WHITE HOUSE RHETORIC V. AMERICAN REALITY
- CHICAGO'S KANYE WEST CALLS IT LIKE HE SEES IT
- "DIVERGING VIEWS" OR DISINFORMATION?
- MORE GOP CRITICISM OF BUSH RESPONSE
- CHICAGO'S HURRICANE HELP SPURNED
- THAT'S A GOOD QUESTION
- "No food... no water... 90 degree heat"
- BUSH DISASTER PLAN REVEALED
- STEINBERG V. KASS
- KASS: NOW IS NOT THE TIME FOR FACING REALITY
- LIKE A CHICKEN WITH ITS HEAD CUT OFF
- LEVEES UNDERCUT BY BUSH ADMINISTRATION
- SNEED v. KASS
- PAY AT PUMP
- ▼ September (96)