Presidential Press Secretary Tony Snow was asked if it isn't true that it's the Supreme Court that's supposed to decide if something is constitutional. His reply was as follows...No, as a matter of fact, the president has an obligation to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States. That is an obligation that presidents have enacted through signing statements going back to Jefferson. So, while the Supreme Court can be an arbiter of the Constitution, the fact is the President is the one, the only person who, by the Constitution, is given the responsibility to preserve, protect, and defend that document, so it is perfectly consistent with presidential authority under the Constitution itself.Ergo, when the Supreme Court — in its role as "an arbiter" of the constitution — ruled unanimously against Richard Nixon on the Watergate matter, Nixon should have said, "Well, thank you for your opinion but you're wrong" and ignored them.
And when they ruled against Bill Clinton on the Paula Jones matter, he should have issued a signing statement or otherwise overruled them.
If and when they rule against George W. Bush, it will mean he's right and they're wrong.
Yeah, I think that's how our nation is supposed to work.
Saturday, September 23, 2006
From Mark Evanier, comics writer and constitutional scholar:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- Hastert "Took Care Of" Foley's Pageboy Problem
- Mia Culpa
- State of Chaos
- Neck and Neck
- Peter Roskam: Worst Person in the 6th District
- The Bush Administration's Road to 9-11
- Roskam's Cut and Running-Off at the Mouth is Going...
- Roskam Supporters Cut and Run from Comments About ...
- By The Company You Keep
- The Prophecies of Old Bull Lee
- "To stress or emphasize."
- "Perruque En Vinyle Pour Enfants"
- Esquire: 6th Dist = America
- Mob Ties for Bonzo?
- At Home or Abroad -- Torture Simply Doesn't Work
- Creepy Pete: How Gigolo Can You Go?
- Unitary Executive
- That's Incredible!
- The Principled Mr. Hyde
- T-Minus Fifteen: Obama Speech at Georgetown (Upda...
- Your Crumbling Democracy Quiz
- Get Some Perspective
- But Not in the Eyes of Chicago Aldermen
- Baby Steps
- Not "Quaint"
- What Your Auto Says About You
- GOP Has Given Up On Immigration
- "I value traditional marriage so much I've had thr...
- Bush Plan for Midterms: Don't Stop Lying
- Chicago Magic
- Rumsfeld: No Need for a Post-War Plan in Iraq
- Obama: TCB
- Is that the Foul Stench of Karl Rove that I Smell?...
- Roskam Priorities v. 6th District Priorities
- Obama's Government Transparency Bill -- NOT a Big ...
- Before You Blame Clinton
- Maj. Tammy Duckworth on Creepy Pete Roskam
- About the Fruits of Your Labor
- Major Duckworth Opposes Amnesty; GOP Lies; Sun Ris...
- Yep, We're Still Getting Our War On
- The Bottle Rockets - "Nancy Sinatra" In this perf...
- Is This Not the Very Picture(s) of Appeasing Middl...
- Rubber Stamp Roskam
- ▼ September (43)
- ► 2005 (555)