The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday refused to hear a challenge against Florida's 28-year-old law that forbids homosexuals from adopting children, allowing to remain in place the nation's only blanket ban specifically aimed at gay adoptions. ***"Sorry kids, 'family values' means no parents for you."
Monday's ruling ends the legal battle started in 1999, when the American Civil Liberties Union challenged the law in Miami federal court in behalf of four gay men who have cared for children for years. Several of the men have been publicly praised for their foster-care work. ***
The Florida plaintiffs' only hope now is to persuade the Florida Legislature to repeal the law. That's the goal of about 20 organizations that recently formed the Coalition for Fair Adoption.Prospects for the coalition's success appear dim. Saying he was pleased with Monday's order, Gov. Jeb Bush called the ban "appropriate," an opinion echoed by key lawmakers who said a repeal was all but dead. ***
"What is astonishing is the incredible crassness of Florida's politicians," said Matt Coles, the lead attorney for the ACLU. "These are the people who say they care about children, yet they're tossing out good parents. It takes my breath away."
Tuesday, January 11, 2005
BUSH: BAN ON GAY ADOPTION "APPROPRIATE"
And now the bad news, also from the Tribune:
- ► 2008 (244)
- ► 2007 (349)
- ► 2006 (418)
- AT LEAST THEY DIDN'T CALL HIM "RICHARD ZORN"
- I BELIEVE THE CHILDREN ARE OUR FUTURE
- DOES BLAGO KNOW ABOUT THIS?
- VIOLENCE IS GOLDEN
- MY "SO-CALLED" LIFE
- HE MAKES ERIC ZORN LOOK LIKE BILLY GRAHAM
- "L'État, c'est moi!"
- ARCHPUNDIT IS BACK
- THE NATION'S TOP LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL
- "HAPPY SLAPPING" IS NO JAPE
- BUSH: THESE ARE THE GOOD OLD DAYS
- "SMITHERS... ARE THEY BOOING ME?" "UH, NO SIR... T...
- DOES JAMES DOBSON KNOW ABOUT THIS?
- ZORN CRAZY OVER OBAMA
- BUSH II, SHALL PASS
- "THE GIRL WAS UNINJURED"
- "Ahhh... IT'S A PROFIT DEAL! THAT TAKES THE PRESS...
- HOMOPHOBES FAITH IN BUSH SHAKEN
- REPUBLICAN PRIORITIES
- BUT OTHER THAN THAT, PARTY-OF-LINCOLN, HOW DID YOU...
- THE BUSH JOBS AND EDUCATION PROGRAM
- BLAGO MOJO NO-GO
- SOUTH DAKOTA: QUAKER STATE?
- IT'S ALWAYS TEASE TEASE TEASE...
- "UPPER CLASS TWIT OF THE YEAR"
- "BRASH AND MOUTHY"
- SLAM DUNK
- RAY LA-WHO?
- A LANDMARK DAY IN ILLINOIS
- NEXT STOP: BLAGO'S DESK
- $500 APPLE!
- BUSH: BAN ON GAY ADOPTION "APPROPRIATE"
- A VICTORY FOR FUNDAMENTAL FREEDOM
- THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
- THE TRUTH FOR SALE ON THE INTERNETS
- TERROR WAR IN IRAQ
- DEATH SQUADS FOR DEMOCRACY
- BETTER LATE...
- NOW SAY IT A MILLION TIMES
- "THE PARIAH"
- MISREPRESENT, RIDICULE, DISMISS (REPEAT AS NECESSA...
- "HI, I'M RICHARD GERE AND I'M SPEAKING FOR THE ENT...
- EVEL KNIEVEL TO JUMP JUDICIAL HELLHOLE
- EIGHT, EIGHT, THREE
- SWEET: SWEET SUITE
- HASTERT: PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT TEXAN BEHIND THE...
- "REFORM" MEANS "PHASE-OUT"
- OBAMA SWEARING IN VIDEO
- SUPPORT GEORGE'S BALLS
- SUSPICIOUS MINDS
- DAY ONE
- HONEST, ABE?
- KENYA PLANS TO CELEBRATE A U.S. SENATOR
- ▼ January (59)